Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

wilhelmina 07-21-2010 07:45 PM

Jolo, "Singing the Blues Jane" all hand pieced, rows A-H just laying around...all I can say is OMG, lets see it, it sounds really pretty, blue is my favorite color!!! :lol:

wilhelmina 07-21-2010 07:58 PM

Ok Lesley, Batchelor Buttons (B-1) is the O-N-L-Y block I have hand stitched...four buttons in the middle 136 stitches. ((what!)) :shock: I couldn't believe there are that many, they are tiny, but not so pretty and even like yours! I am happy with my perfect machine stitches on all my other blocks! We all have different talents and hand stitching was never mine!

Your turn :lol: :lol: :lol: but if you estimated one of your square blocks and one of your tris, we could do the math, honest for an estimate. Do you suppose you have over a 100,000 hand stitiches????

You know I think your quilt is beyond words...beautiful!!!!!

Lacelady 07-22-2010 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Ok Lesley, Batchelor Buttons (B-1) is the O-N-L-Y block I have hand stitched...four buttons in the middle 136 stitches. ((what!)) :shock: I couldn't believe there are that many, they are tiny, but not so pretty and even like yours! I am happy with my perfect machine stitches on all my other blocks! We all have different talents and hand stitching was never mine!

Your turn :lol: :lol: :lol: but if you estimated one of your square blocks and one of your tris, we could do the math, honest for an estimate. Do you suppose you have over a 100,000 hand stitiches????

You know I think your quilt is beyond words...beautiful!!!!!

Wow, I am amazed at you actually counting one. Picking an average block would be the awkward part, because some are much simpler than others. Of course, I machine pieced, but I hand appliqued, and then there is all the quilting. Somehow, I think that 100,000 might not be enough.

I know the Amish quilters charge by the yard of thread they use to quilt. I have virtually emptied two reels, each with 1000 metres on them, just doing the quilting. I know there would have been quite a bit of wastage, because I hate sewing with just three or four inches in my needle, so a lot would have gone in the bin (trash) but even so, it's still a lot of yardage.

sandpat 07-22-2010 08:54 AM

Oh gosh...I think that no matter how you look at it...its ALOTTA stitches!! I can't believe you counted Wil... :lol: :lol: I do wonder..but I'm not at all sure 100,000 would cover it. :shock:

wilhelmina 07-22-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh gosh...I think that no matter how you look at it...its ALOTTA stitches!! I can't believe you counted Wil... :lol: :lol: I do wonder..but I'm not at all sure 100,000 would cover it. :shock:

Yes, I counted one circle, then multiplied by four! There is no way Lesley could count that many stitches, but I would bet she sews very evenly about the same number of stitches per inch! I just guessed at 100,000 but who knows???

Can't wait to see more pictures of Lesley's masterpiece! :)

Lacelady 07-22-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wilhelmina

Originally Posted by sandpat

Yes, I counted one circle, then multiplied by four! There is no way Lesley could count that many stitches, but I would bet she sews very evenly about the same number of stitches per inch! I just guessed at 100,000 but who knows???

Can't wait to see more pictures of Lesley's masterpiece! :)

I've got some in my camera, I'll get them in the puter in the morning, it's nearly 1 am here, so I am off to bed . Night night all.

Janstar 07-22-2010 08:03 PM

Congrats Lace! Great job!! Hope mine looks as good when I get there.

Lacelady 07-22-2010 08:15 PM

It's just after 5am and I can't sleep, so I thought I would count the stitches in one scallop (as I am sitting here under it!) I did 152 quilting stitches in one scallop, and 62 stitches to hold the binding down on the same scallop, including those on one little fold holding the crease in place where the two scallops meet. So that is a total of 214? for one scallop. There are 52 scallops
Is that 11128? I haven't got a calculator handy. And that doesn't include the corners.

Just goes to show what daft things we will do when we can't sleep, LOL. I suppose it makes a change from counting sheep!

Lacelady 07-23-2010 02:44 AM

I've posted a pic or two of my quilt in the Pictures thread, as requested:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55808-1.htm#1341293

jolo 07-23-2010 04:40 AM

No from what I have seen here on the board of Lesleys work, 100K is not even close to the total . Jo