Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   17th Mystery Quilt Train Ride Sept. 9, 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/17th-mystery-quilt-train-ride-sept-9-2017-a-t291068.html)

tscweaves 09-23-2017 08:19 AM

Rookie quilter here, does anyone have a good tutorial to make flying geese? I have no idea where to even start. Thanks.

Just Jan 09-23-2017 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7911888)
Rookie quilter here, does anyone have a good tutorial to make flying geese? I have no idea where to even start. Thanks.

I'll PM you.

tscweaves 09-23-2017 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7911919)
I'll PM you.

I think I figured it out. I took a rectangle 3.5"×6" and two squares 3.5"×3.5", I then sewed on square, cut off the 2 corners, flipped and pressed and did the same with the other one., There was lots of trimming, but I got it to 3" × 5.5", is this right?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581038[/ATTACH]

Is this a flying geese? It is just scrap fabric but I think this is what they look like.

Just Jan 09-23-2017 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7911923)
I think I figured it out. I took a rectangle 3.5"×6" and two squares 3.5"×3.5", I then sewed on square, cut off the 2 corners, flipped and pressed and did the same with the other one., There was lots of trimming, but I got it to 3" × 5.5", is this right?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581038[/ATTACH]

Is this a flying geese? It is just scrap fabric but I think this is what they look like.

It looks right but looks like you need to square it up. Sew the corners on, then turn it over and cut off the extra using the green rectangle as your guide. Either you cut or wrote the wrong sizes here. You were to cut the rectangles 3 x 5 1/2 and the squares 3 x 3. At least that's what I read... let me go check for sure...

tscweaves 09-23-2017 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7911925)
Either you cut or wrote the wrong sizes here. You were to cut the rectangles 3 x 5 1/2 and the squares 3 x 3. At least that's what I read... let me go check for sure...

See, I was confused, it said base cut in one place and unfinished geese size in another, so which is it?

Just Jan 09-23-2017 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7911925)
It looks right but looks like you need to square it up. Sew the corners on, then turn it over and cut off the extra using the green rectangle as your guide. Either you cut or wrote the wrong sizes here. You were to cut the rectangles 3 x 5 1/2 and the squares 3 x 3. At least that's what I read... let me go check for sure...

yes, your green piece should be cut at 3 x 5 1/2 and the floral would be 3 x 3. That's what I meant about it being an odd size for Flying Geese. They are usually cut at 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 to finish at 3x6. I've never seen them at 3 x 5 1/2 before but that's what this project calls for. But it looks like you figured out the 'sew and flip' method for attaching the squares. You should be proud of yourself. You're a fast learner.

tscweaves 09-23-2017 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7911929)
yes, your green piece should be cut at 3 x 5 1/2 and the floral would be 3 x 3. That's what I meant about it being an odd size for Flying Geese. They are usually cut at 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 to finish at 3x6. I've never seen them at 3 x 5 1/2 before but that's what this project calls for. But it looks like you figured out the 'sew and flip' method for attaching the squares.

Thanks Jan, I actually remembered the flip & sew from one of the blocks in the monthly Bee:-) So then the "snowball" part is done the same with the other dimensions?

Just Jan 09-23-2017 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7911926)
See, I was confused, it said base cut in one place and unfinished geese size in another, so which is it?

What Judy called the base I call the rectangle. (We do this just to confuse you! NOT! :pSometimes you will also see parts of Flying Geese called the Goose and the other part called the Sky. When its done to this stage, it should measure 3 x 5 1/2. When your block is all sewn together it will measure 2 1/2 x 5. When its called Unfinished its also called the Raw Size and both mean when its ready to sew to the next parts, but still has the seam allowance showing on it. The base or rectangle is often called the Goose and the triangles are sometimes called the sky. OK, I hope that helped and didn't confuse you more! You're doing great. :thumbup:

Just Jan 09-23-2017 09:35 AM

Yep, Snowball to me means all four corners being sewn and flipped. There is then a round snowball in the center. I wondered if you would remember the sew and flip from the monthly bee. Figured you might! Tom-A-to, Tom-aw-to, Pot-A-to, Po-taw-to, all means the same, just depends on what area you're from I guess. :D

lawsonmugs 09-23-2017 10:01 AM

Jan that was a good explanation you posted. I wish someone had explained it to me that way along time ago. lol.