Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/another-mystery-quilt-train-ride-our-5th-trip-t215243.html)

dungeonquilter 03-20-2013 05:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Showing my original picks, not enough C fabric. Thought it was a fat quarter, but more like a fat eighth.
Second picture should show my small tris with second choice of C. Don't like it.
Third picture shows larger tris with HST.
Forth shows HST with my D fabric.

paintmejudy 03-20-2013 06:09 AM

I don't understand what has happened to the correction for the copy for the little triangles. Yes ,posting #533, the correction I made the other day sayis you will cut 4" squares --this is the correct size and should be from A and C fabrics. I had asked Patrice to change the copy on posting #376 but it hasn't happened yet. So posting #376 is still incorrect, it shows cutting a 3" square. You should cut 4" squares. Sew them with a scant 1/4" seam.

SunlitenSmiles 03-20-2013 06:33 AM

Get out your rotary cutter, and away we go!

First, you will make some half square triangles that will finish at 3½” square. If you are like me and never seem to get them to come out at the perfect size, try this trick - cut your squares a bit larger; sew, press and then trim to size. If you are always spot on, you can do these the “correct” way (“correct” according to the quilt police) and cut your squares at 3-7/8”. P.S. No quilt police allowed here, so don’t worry about how you make your half square triangles. There are lots of methods out there for you to choose from.

From A and B cut a WOF of each, I cut them at a bit generous 4-1/8” wide. From these strips cut 6 of A and 6 of B at the 4-1/8” mark, ending up with 6 each of A and B, 4-1/8” square. Set the leftover strips aside for later. Or cut at 3-7/8” if you are doing them the so-called “correct” way. Place right sides together, mark a diagonal from corner to corner, sew ¼” away from each side of the line, cut along the drawn line, press. Trim as needed to 3-½” square. There will be 12 of these half square triangle blocks.

If you need instructions on marking and sewing, see the simple diagram below. More detailed instructions can be found on the internet.

From A and C cut three squares of each fabric measuring 4” square. Again, I am having you cut the fabric a bit larger, and it will be trimmed at a later date. Cut each piece from corner to corner, to make 4 pieces of each fabric. Using the picture as a guide, sew two short sides of A and C together, making 12 triangular pieces. Start stitching from the long straight edge, sewing toward the point. Always keep the A and C fabrics in the same position so the triangles are identical. You will have 12 of the small triangular pieces.

this is a copy/paste with the corrections

SunlitenSmiles 03-20-2013 06:38 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...446250-004.jpg

shows the 4 inch......on the cutting mat....cool......this is my copy and paste day....now switch to cut and sew :)

chefbwarner 03-20-2013 07:09 AM

good job SunlitenSmiles. Now Miss Judy can be at peace. Maybe there won't be any more questions on where, when and how. LOL so now the clues are #'s 1, #573 and #574 and I did write it down for future use. Big hugs from much cooler FL. Where did the heat go???? Retta aka Chef

Pam H 03-20-2013 07:29 AM

Ok. Is it safe to start mine? LOL

haylillan 03-20-2013 08:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
got them finished the right way im a little thick headed some times you are doing fine judy its been fun whether right or wrong i'll do another msytry with you

reeskylr 03-20-2013 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H (Post 5941239)
Ok. Is it safe to start mine? LOL

Hehe!!! Ok, that little question just made my day. :D

grammy of 6 03-20-2013 10:46 AM

Thanks SunlitenSmiles!

Belfrybat 03-20-2013 11:34 AM

Procrastination sometimes has it's advantages. :D I had thought to cut yesterday morning, but didn't get around to it. So now I can cut once, sew twice.