Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Block of the Month (BotM) July 15th, 2007 - Directions & Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/block-month-botm-july-15th-2007-directions-discussion-t1437.html)

Country Quilter 07-25-2007 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by DebJ
Where can I find an open toe foot for a low shank 30 year old Kenmore machine?

I own three Sears machines (two of which are about that old) and I haven't had any trouble getting parts for them right from Sears.com....have you tried them yet?

patricej 07-30-2007 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Templates for a non-paper-pieced, 12" compass star.

Click on the word "download" to open and/or save the file to your computer. The file will open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

BEFORE PRINTING: Don't forget to set page scaling to "none". then click on "advanced" and put a check next to "print as image" to make sure the seam allowances print, too.

Yvonne 08-06-2007 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Tim,
Thank you for the lovely challenge! ... I'm pretty sure I'll need focus! ...
Patrice thank you for the alternate sizes. I may have to try one of each size... just because!

okay, I just finished my star. I must say I'm glad I waited until the grandchildren were all gone because focus was needed.
DID YOU KNOW?
This star is divided into 4 sectors; each sector has two parts; each part has 6 pieces; and that makes a total of 48 little pieces of fabric? That's a whole bunch of scraps!

I made one 6 inch block and I'm not going to be making one of each size as I said earlier... just because! :shock:

annmarie 08-06-2007 07:35 PM

But isn't it a COOL star? Worth all the effort I thought. But then again mine wasn't 6 inches :lol: Your quilt is going to be AWESOME!

Mae 09-01-2007 06:04 PM

Try the Sears Parts Store website: http://www3.sears.com/

My Kenmore is 32 years old and all the original parts are still listed. Just type in the complete model #: 3 digits.5digits and the list should come up. The open toe foot is the same as the darning foot.

Mae

sheliab12 09-10-2007 02:44 PM

My very first pp project someone told me about a great paper. It is very cheap and you get it in the school supplies at Wal-mart or Kmart. It is called Tablet paper I think. It is like the paper we use to learn to print on only without the lines. It looks like newsprint in a tablet. Only a few dollars. Using the needle perforation would really make it nice and shortening your stitch. Also, once you do one block work on 4 at a time. So A1 and A2 on 4 pieces, then press, then cut all of them at once. Then do the next step. Saves a lot of running around. Set up small pressing area on one side and small cutting area on other side of machine and it moves right along. Good luck

annmarie 09-10-2007 04:14 PM

Thanks for the tips!! They sound good. :D

butterfly 11-12-2007 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How do I add a pic here to the side of my name?
Thanks,
Carly

She's gone chicken crazy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2486[/ATTACH]

k_jupiter 11-12-2007 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly
How do I add a pic here to the side of my name?
Thanks,
Carly

1.) Sign in.
2.) Go to "my profile" at the top of this page.
3.) At the bottom of the profile sheet, there is a section called avatar.
4.) Notice it says the avatar cannot be more than 130 pixels x 130 pixels. You need a photo graphics program that will allow you to take your photo that you want next to your name and resize it to 130x130 pixels. Save that as "name_of_pic"_Avatar.jpg The on the profile sheet, you use the browse button to find that file on your computer and then upload it.

tim in san jose

Carsey 06-10-2010 06:13 AM

This is a beautiful block. I'll try to get the nerve to do it!!

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Hi y'all,

Here is the scoop. I designed this block several months ago after looking at Carol Doak's "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars". A great book I will add.

I like her stars, but none of them are what I wanted, a Compass Star.

So I designed my own. The instructions given in the pdf below are learned from Ms. Doak's book and I give her full credit. The pattern though is mine.

I had several other ideas in mind, but work and projects that need doing kept me from exploring those ideas in the last couple of months. After I saw how well Connie Hadba's Compass Star went over, I decided this would be the BotM for July 15th.

Many thanks to my pattern tester and translator, Patrice J.

Feel free to ask questions.

tim in san jose