Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmers-wife-week-5-blocks-9-10-photos-t62459.html)

Anael 06-01-2012 12:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my blocks: [ATTACH=CONFIG]339178[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339179[/ATTACH]

oksewglad 06-01-2012 07:01 AM

Another pair of lovely blocks, Anael. Is your color intensity close to the PC blocks? Are you using from your scrap bag?

nickylsf 06-01-2012 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5257407)
Here are my blocks: [ATTACH=CONFIG]339178[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339179[/ATTACH]

Gorgeous! Your batiks are so pretty.

Anael 06-01-2012 10:27 AM

Thank you oksewglad and Nicky. Yes oksewglad, the colors are close to the PC blocks and no, I'm not using my scrap bag, I'm using my stash for both quilts.

Anael 06-01-2012 11:03 AM

Oksewglad, do you think I should have used other colors for the FW? Maybe I'll end up with two similar quilts now? Or maybe not, the PC blocks are twice this size and the FW blocks are on point.

oksewglad 06-01-2012 05:39 PM

Anael, yes the on point setting and block size will definitely make it look different. IMHO if the colors in your sashings/cornerstones in each quilt are really different from each other this will also prevent you from having 2 similar quilts. You are probably far enough along in the PC to notice a dominant color. Choose a dominant color in the FWS like QE has done for the PC (a yellow she's using throughout) and that will change the character of your quilts as well.

QuiltE 06-03-2012 06:39 PM

Anael ... your white is really calling to me again! Looks wonderful! Thinking of what OKSGlad said, ITA that you can use the same colours and yet have totally different looks in the end. I don't think you've been repeating the white in all of your PC blocks, have you? And the FWS that I've seen, I think you have. So that may become your mainstay. Then the sashing/cornerstone choices can really create a different look between your FWS and PC. There is a lot of similarity in the PC/FWS blocks though the size difference does give different looks to them.

Another thought ... I'm not sure what your intended end purpose are for your samplers? There's nothing wrong with them coordinating and blending together. I have three that are made out of the same fabrics that I use on my bed. Also, if you're going to be giving them away, it won't matter if they look similar.

Anael 06-04-2012 01:15 AM

QuiltE, you're right about the PC, most of the background is the same but not all. That's a WOW I'm using and it's bright white. For the FW I'm using the same background for all blocks, also a WOW but not a bright white, more like beige.
I'm not giving them away as nobody wants them here. Quilting is not known here and my kids aren't interested. I made my youngest and DIL a quilt for their birthdays and they love it but another one? It would end up on a shelf.
So I think the ones I make and really like will be used on my bed. Maybe my grandson when he's older will like the PC one? Sometimes the thought of no-one liking what I do is slowing me down a lot and keeping me from finishing my quilts :(

QuiltE 06-04-2012 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5263906)
QuiltE, you're right about the PC, most of the background is the same but not all. That's a WOW I'm using and it's bright white. For the FW I'm using the same background for all blocks, also a WOW but not a bright white, more like beige.
I'm not giving them away as nobody wants them here. Quilting is not known here and my kids aren't interested. I made my youngest and DIL a quilt for their birthdays and they love it but another one? It would end up on a shelf.
So I think the ones I make and really like will be used on my bed. Maybe my grandson when he's older will like the PC one? Sometimes the thought of no-one liking what I do is slowing me down a lot and keeping me from finishing my quilts :(

I know what you mean ... I have no one who will inherit mine! So I forget about that part ... and just make what my little ♥ fancies!!! And I use my quilts ... none of this hiding them away. Of course, they all can't be used all the time ... for the rest, they are on quilt racks or sitting about or on the wall, for me to keep enjoying!! I do give some away, to those I want to and whom I think might enjoy them.

I tend NOT to make a quilt with an intended destiny, as I don't want that pressure! Rather I let them speak to me as I work on them and often in the midst then I know who it is for, sometimes not. Then it's into the general inventory ... and if I need a gift, and I have something appropriate, then perfect!

Another change that I've made in my quilting ... more detail and work, to slow me down. Yes, I can make a quilt in a day, but why? I came to that conclusion when I was doing this quilt ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t122204.html

It was going together all too quickly, and I knew if I kept that up, then I'd be smothered in quilts!!! :)

Anael 06-04-2012 06:44 AM

Oh I love your quilts and the sheep is so cute! Of course you can use it for Christmas! I would :D

I never made a quilt in a day, the Asian Scrappy one took me at least 4 days. I can't cut all day so it took me 2 days to cut all the pieces and another two days to arrange all the pieces and sew it. That one will go into the general inventory as well LOL I like that expression! With my sampler quilts I do have a lot of detail, sometimes too much. Specially Dear Jane with all those tiny pieces but most of them are pp, only problem is they won't lay flat so I have to beat them into submission :D