Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Farmers Wife Week 5 Blocks 9 and 10 Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/farmers-wife-week-5-blocks-9-10-photos-t62459.html)

Debo 09-02-2010 12:44 PM

All of your blocks are so pretty. Love all the different fabrics.

Honchey 09-02-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
I think it's going well because of the rather narrow colorway in this fabric line. I'm ending up with a controlled scrappy look.

The fabrics are mostly florals, large and small, in brown, coral, yellow and apple green, with a little white.

Here's a pic of the fabrics.

For those of you who are reluctant to paper-piece, I'd encourage you to learn it anyway. Some of the blocks coming up would be difficult to do with traditional piecing. I'm drawing them in EQ, but it would be manageable to draw them on graph paper for paper piecing also. Please consider it.

Hi All, Thanks Dagny for mentioning the paper piecing. There are quite a few blocks that have angles that are impossible and timely to figure them out correctly and the only figures I can post are the width and length of the widest part of the template itself--so you need the actual template to get it cut correctly.
I myself prefer not to use them but I have in some of the simpler blocks to get the hang of it.

craftylady 09-02-2010 04:34 PM

In make the Farmer's Wife quilt--do you use scraps of fabric, or do you try to use a color theme?

Kooklabell 09-02-2010 05:00 PM

Oh lordy, I haven't even finished cutting out blocks 7 and 8! UGH, I knew I'd be a loyal member of the slackers group - particularly since school is back in session! Hope to catch up over the long weekend if Earl doesn't get too close and mess up the electric. LOL

Everyone's blocks are sooooo nice! I can't wait to try them.

pookie ookie 09-02-2010 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by craftylady
In make the Farmer's Wife quilt--do you use scraps of fabric, or do you try to use a color theme?

It's up to you. Scrappy looks great. A consistent theme would be interesting, too. Look at all the different ways people have made Jane Stickle's quilt, for instance.

pookie ookie 09-02-2010 05:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Unaltered blocks this week.

Lucy90 09-02-2010 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my 8 & 9. I have 42 done. It has been fun doing them. It is a project that I do in between projects

Quilting Nonnie 09-02-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by stormatsea45
Is it too late to start with this group. I have the Farmers Wife book, but would like to continue to receive the rotary cutting directions which are not all that easy for me to find. I have the ones up to blocks 9 & 10. I don't have time right now to sew them, too much else in my life, but would like to in the near future. Thanks in advance for listening and telling me if I can still receive the rotary directions and where to find them.

It is definitely not too late! Look at this link for the info on the Quilt Along. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57733-1.htm

Some of us have only done a few blocks, and one wonder-woman just finished her quilt. You can post your blocks to their respective picture threads and make sure and click on watch so that you can be notified when anyone posts a new picture.

I'm keeping a list of the links (pictures, discussion and rotary cutting instructions) for all of the blocks. PM me if you want the list!

Glad to have you along!

sew cornie 09-02-2010 08:00 PM

I'm enjoying seeing everyone's blocks. I think it's interesting to see the block #9s in particular and how some have chosen the dominant fabric for the background and others have chosen it for the pinwheel shape. Hmmm . . . still unsure what mine will be.

Margaret J 09-03-2010 01:48 AM

I love the way you are using soft colours and how you are adding the sashing as you go. It seems to finish the block more. Congratulations

Margaret