Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The FWS 30"s Quiltalong Week 47 Blocks 93 Starlight & 94 Susannah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-30-s-quiltalong-week-47-blocks-93-starlight-94-susannah-t280762.html)

sewbizgirl 10-28-2016 08:33 PM

Yes, Morganfam, many of us are still following these threads and would love to see your blocks and cheer you on! Your Susannah is just beautiful.

JeanieG 10-28-2016 09:33 PM

Very pretty block Morganfam! Keep posting!

katybob 10-29-2016 04:12 AM

Love your Susannah, Morganfam. I used that fabric in a bed-size quilt I made a couple of years ago.

morganfam7 10-29-2016 10:22 PM

Thanks!

Thank you Sewbizgirl, JeanieG, and katybob! I couldn't do these blocks without paper piecing. I guess I'll paper piece them all. Having loads of fun!

Originally Posted by katybob (Post 7687662)
Love your Susannah, Morganfam. I used that fabric in a bed-size quilt I made a couple of years ago.

Katybob, I got some sample books for a little bit of nothing from a quilt shop last year. This fabric was on one of those sample books. I like that it's all there together and coordinated. I bet your quilt was beautiful!

sewbizgirl 10-30-2016 06:24 AM

I learned to paper piece for these blocks and used PP for all of them. Couldn't have done that tiny piecing any other way. I got pretty good at it by doing that much.

morganfam7 11-03-2016 01:24 PM

That's encouraging! I see some experienced people struggled with some blocks which made me wonder how in the world I could do them. I'm glad to know that pping worked for you all the way. Maybe I can do it too. :)

QuiltingNinaSue 11-03-2016 02:14 PM

Mine were not always (gasp!) perfect, but it made me happy as I finished each block. And I learned a lot on the three trails (FW three books) with the ladies here on QB. Yours look great, Morganfam7. Looking forward to seeing more of them..

morganfam7 11-04-2016 03:29 AM

Thank you! I feel the same way - not perfect but thrilled with each block when I finish it. I didn't know there were three FW books! How fun!

QuiltingNinaSue 11-04-2016 04:49 AM

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt was first, based on the Farmer's Wife Magazine from 1919 to 1934. FWSQ was based on the letters written by farm wives on the topic "Would you want your daughters to marry a farmer?" Blocks were 6 12 blocks, all 110 of them. Next came the Farmer's Wife Pony Contest where children won a pony and harness and cart by selling subscriptions to the magazine...and wrote 'Thank you' letters and sent photographs back to the magazine. Blocks were 8 1/2 inches, some 99 blocks. FW 1930 was from reproduction prints of the 1930s, but we used whatever each of us desired in the 6 1/2 blocks, 99 block quilt. Each case she selected the numbers of stories and designed blocks for each story. Enjoy the journey and stories. We all did. However, we are not planning on doing her most recent book coming out this fall bases on Bible verses.

morganfam7 11-04-2016 10:30 AM

Thanks for that info. The Bible one sounds good. Maybe I'll have enough experience to tackle it alone by then.

When pping, do you pull the paper off afterward and do you reverse at the beginning and ending of each seam? I haven't and when I pulled the paper off today, I noticed that an end unraveled more than 1/4". :(