Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Judy's 3rd MYSTERY QUILT train ride (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/judys-3rd-mystery-quilt-train-ride-t203100.html)

SunlitenSmiles 11-03-2012 07:23 AM

Marcellee, any minute now we will get the next clue, we are standing here with our rotary cutters ready

calano1 11-03-2012 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh dear ....I tried to wait for Clue 3 ...but it is getting late ...
Its already 5:30 pm here at the tip of Africa and its time to prepare dinner.
I will have to get off now, and wait for the train to pass by tomorrow ....luckily it comes by every 24 hours! :)
I will leave you some samoosas at the snack bar ....enjoy!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374096[/ATTACH]

labeelady 11-03-2012 08:01 AM

Marcellelee, this is also my first Mystery Quilt. It's been really easy so far, so I hope it doesn't get more difficult as we get further into it.

paintmejudy 11-03-2012 08:20 AM

making 9-patch blocks

7 Attachment(s)
Now is the time to decide how to use your E and F fabrics. Look at the ½ square triangles you made from the directions posted on 10/13 and 10/21. Now, choose your color combinations from your E and F fabrics, or at this point you may decide you want to use something different for E and F.

I wanted to get the most contrast from my E and F colors. As you can see from the top picture, I laid the black and white on the ½ sq triangle blocks, and I liked the contrast of the white (now called E) with the A-B blocks, and the black (now called F) with the C-D blocks.

Cut all strips 2-½” wide, WOF. Use accurate ¼” seams to sew your strips together to make 6-½” wide strip sets as shown in the pictures and described in next paragraphs. Adjust needle position if needed, strip sets must be 6-½” wide. When pressing, press to the dark, turn over and make sure to press out any little “wrinkle” at the fold to make sure your strip set is 6-½” wide

Your blocks will measure 6-1/2" square when finished.

FIRST:
From A, cut 3 strips each 2-½” wide. Cut one of these strips in half, and set one of these ½ pieces aside.
From E, cut three 2-½” strips. Cut one of these strips in half.

Make strip sets as shown in photos.

Using the two half pieces of A and the half piece of F , put together A-E-A and sew to make a one half-sized strip set; cut into six 2-½” wide strips.

Sew together 2-½” strips of E-A-E and sew one make a strip set. Cut your strips sets into 2-½” wide segments. Cut 12 pieces 2-½” wide. Sew into six 9-patch blocks as shown in photo.

SECOND:
From C, the darker of the C and D fabrics, cut 3 WOF strips each 2-½” wide. Cut one of these strips in half, set one of the ½ pieces aside.

From F cut three WOF 2-½” strips. Cut one of these strips in half.

As shown in photo, put together the half strips of C-F-C and sew to make a strip set approx. 20-22“ long.
Put together WOF pieces F-C-F and sew to make a strip set .
Cut your strips sets into 2-½” wide segments. Sew into six 9-patch blocks as shown

paintmejudy 11-03-2012 08:24 AM

Sorry I was late posting today.

SunlitenSmiles 11-03-2012 08:30 AM

worth waiting for, as always
Hugs, (((((((Judy)))))
hope you are feeling better (that was gentle hug)

paintmejudy 11-03-2012 08:44 AM

LOL Thanks, sunlite. Yup, a hearty hug would send me into orbit!

DANGER!! DANGER!! DANGER!!
BIG BOO-BOO -- IGNORE PIX #5
-
-I cut my strips wrong, and didn't notice until too late. I recut and remade my strip set with all 2-1/2" strips, but forgot to take a picture. Just noticed now it is the wrong picture!!!
Going to try and get Patrice to remove the incorrect photo. So sorry.

KarenR 11-03-2012 09:09 AM

Hope you are feeling better!!!!

I'm using this mystery to teach a new teenager to sew. We begin next weekend.

SulaBug 11-03-2012 10:30 AM

Judy...........Thank you for the new instruction's. This Mystery project is looking very interesting!! :D I hope you are taking it easy & resting your back. We all want you to get well quickly so you can enjoy sewing right a long with the rest of us. Have a Great Day!!
:D :D :D :D

chefbwarner 11-03-2012 10:36 AM

I am confused now. what's wrong with pix #5. are the strips in the wrong order??? Are the lights supposed to be on each corner??? Maybe I'm making this more difficult, but the more I read, the more confused I get. Help please ??