Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/mystery-quilt-train-ride-6-welcome-aboard-t240020.html)

Emma S 02-17-2014 07:34 AM

Judy needs to change her log in name to "Inscrutable Judy".

paintmejudy 02-17-2014 07:46 AM

Elisa, looks like you are going to havbe to get a dog .....

Very good, Sunlite, love it -- no time to cook AND sew. And naturally, sewing takes precedence .....

Emma, I do love that name

Is everybody having fun yet? :D

SandyinZ4 02-17-2014 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaryColgan (Post 6579959)
I never had the pleasure of learning quilting from family - or anyone else in a 'quilting' sense... I'm basically a 'book learner'. BUT - I have 4 quilts made by ancestors of different generations that I look at, now and then, and just *wonder* how they planned them, what they were made 'from' and if anyone else helped them. Too bad I'm not a fiction writer. ;-)

MaryC...could you start a new thread on the board and post pics of your 'antique' quilts please. I am sure we would all love to see them. Then we could 'wonder' right along with you. I still say..if quilts could talk..what stories they could tell!

lawsonmugs 02-17-2014 08:10 AM

SandyinZ4 love your little saying at the bottom of your post. lol. I would love to see the quilts too.

Grandma Cindy 02-17-2014 09:20 AM

Maybe a long rectangle with the last block cut on the diagonal and placed in the center of the short ends as points? I am an unplaying passenger, maybe a server in the food court, having a swell time...

reeskylr 02-17-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 6580376)
Elisa, looks like you are going to havbe to get a dog .....

Very good, Sunlite, love it -- no time to cook AND sew. And naturally, sewing takes precedence .....

Emma, I do love that name

Is everybody having fun yet? :D

Tons!! So glad it is a dog placemat, because we need more of those. lol :D

Oksewnsew 02-17-2014 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have mine all ready for the next step. Wasn't sure I was gonna like these prints, but more I look at it, it's 'sinking in'..lol I've not ever been a scrappy patterned person, like the structured blocks, etc. Looking forward to next step.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462938[/ATTACH]

lawsonmugs 02-17-2014 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 6580696)
I have mine all ready for the next step. Wasn't sure I was gonna like these prints, but more I look at it, it's 'sinking in'..lol I've not ever been a scrappy patterned person, like the structured blocks, etc. Looking forward to next step.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]462938[/ATTACH]

I think yours are very pretty. I love the flower prints. Very spring looking.

Oksewnsew 02-17-2014 12:47 PM

Thanks.. It was funny as I was laying out the pcs to sew together, I'm thinking 'oh this pc is from one of my rose quilts, this one from a dress I made DGD, OOH this pc I made a blouse from, this pc from a butterfly top I made". Funny how memories come back..lol I still have a bazillion strips, cut pcs hangin' around.. I might have to pick out some more and make my daughter one of these...

paintmejudy 02-17-2014 01:11 PM

I totally understand what Oksew just posted.

My mother died when my kids were still in grammar school (I was 33) but she had made a lot of things for the girls and for herself. Aropund 1960, when my dad retired and she did too, they moved to Tucson. She started making yo-yos and ended up making 2 quilts, one for each of the 3/4 size beds they slept in -- bigger than a twin, not as wide as a double and hung over quite a bit on the sides. Don't know if they even make that size mattress anymore! Each one has 3,000 yo-yos in it. When she died, my dad gave one each tome and to my sister, who, one time when I was at her house, I saw she had it folded up for a dog bed. Naturally I was horrified, but kept my mouth shut. Mine is folded at the end of the quest room bed, looking like an extra blanket to draw up. I used to look at the quilt and pick out things she had made, I think some of the scraps were from my aunt. But well over 30 years have passed and unfortunately I no longer can picture in my mind the way my child looked in a dress made by Grandma.