Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Mystery quilt train ride #6 - welcome aboard (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/mystery-quilt-train-ride-6-welcome-aboard-t240020.html)

Jenniky 03-07-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine (Post 6608920)
Ole! I needed to make mine a bit bigger, plus I didn't have enough left of the black anyway. So, the old piano keys work again. And I used up almost all of that batik. Judy, I have a question? Those setting triangles fit so well....is there a formula for making those? I can kind of figure them out using the Pythagorean theorem (from high school no less), but is there an easier way?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465681[/ATTACH]

love the piano keys border..I might follow suit.. still deciding on border. :)

lawsonmugs 03-07-2014 10:51 AM

I love how pretty these are all coming out.

sdeaaz 03-07-2014 11:18 AM

Thanks Jean... I am trying to do new things... this is on my list...

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 6612268)

Sdeaaz, I have a scallop ruler, (Quilt in a Day by Eleanor Burns), but Fons & Porter has a tutorial on it, too... You can also use a plate, depending on big you want to make the scallop. You can either keep the points where scallops meet, or make them a soft curve (easier to put binding on).. It took me some time to figure out the instructions, but once it soaked in, then it was easy, of course..lol

Jean

VickiM 03-07-2014 06:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Love them all! Especially fond of the scallop one...I finished all 3 of mine (not quilted yet). The girl scrap donation I just finished with a border & cornerstones. The boy scrap donation I finished with the 2 borders sewn together & then added the cornerstones, just a little different. The batik...well, that one I had to think about. I am also doing the medallion quilt on the board...well, Elisabrat's round was just perfect for this quilt. I REALLY LOVE how it turned out with just using the batik scraps...took awhile (4 days) to do as they were actually all odd size scraps used on this entire quilt, so had to do each key as a single unit...there were soooo many of them...but turned out beautifully. I just used the grey stone in the corners too, so it looks like they are all floating. Will bind it with the black I used in the quilt...haven't decided on the backing yet. It turned out to be 51"x62". I think I like this mystery the best (I've done them all & love them all) because it was so easy to make different sizes & could finish different ways. And a GREAT scrap-buster. I will probably make this quilt alot. Thanks Judy...can't wait for the next one!:thumbup:

Oksewnsew 03-07-2014 07:36 PM

Very nice Vicki...I love the purple one, may have to put that one on my bucket list.. ;o)

J

sustraley 03-08-2014 02:05 AM

So many amazing toppers. Thanks to our wonderful hostess.

whitepine 03-08-2014 08:45 AM

Vicki, All are great. You're right. The staggered piano keys really work with this quilt.

Trippgal, I like your finished quilt. Looks very "woodsy" to me. Green & brown for the trees, purple shadows, blue sky, and of course, birds.

thimblebug6000 03-08-2014 04:09 PM

Trippgal, nice job.... maybe use a strong colour from the center blocks to bind it with?

m-fay 03-09-2014 12:16 AM

They are all beautiful Vicki. cant wait to do my borders....this coming week, I hope.

AngeliaNR 03-10-2014 07:45 AM

I'm still here--got sidetracked with another project, but I'll be back to this one soon. Love seeing all your work.