Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/orca-bay-mystery-quilt-along-t168935.html)

islandwiz1 01-05-2012 05:23 PM

My opinion in my quilt is that my purple strings make my stars stand out more. I love the yellow I put in it because it gives the quilt a little pop of color. I did find them a little hard to do.

Emma S 01-06-2012 08:04 AM

Figured out how to correct the flying geese in step #7 to get the right size. Really starting to come together, would like to spend all day at it but life is getting in the way.

alderdweller 01-06-2012 08:35 AM

I am still struggling with step 7. They're getting better but still wonkier than I'd like. Open to suggestions ;)

JeanieG 01-06-2012 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 4847788)
Figured out how to correct the flying geese in step #7 to get the right size. Really starting to come together, would like to spend all day at it but life is getting in the way.

Yep, life always gets in the way! LOL I'm still sewing on the border squares. I think this is going to be a bear to put together with all those "points". I see a lot of pinning in my future! I put about 5 rows (what would fit) on my display board last night. It is really spectacular when you get back and get a good look at it. It took a while to even put on the display board. It is so easy to get those rectangle units and blue squares going the wrong direction!

candi 01-06-2012 10:33 AM

Life indeed keeps getting in the way, lol. I am off work today and have been working on this quilt, I am working on my green strings (Bonnie's reds) and will be trying to make a flying geese unit to check the size. Have a few of these wings done, although not all. Got some squares cut and hoping to be abke to make a few Ohio stars as well. Wish me luck, lol.

Emma S 01-06-2012 01:37 PM

Alderdweller, I am sure not an expert but I used the rulers that were recommended by Bonnie to true up both the strings and the winged pieces. I even blunted the corners so I could match the sides exactly. TaDa.....3.5 by 6.5.

pjnesler 01-06-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 4848783)
Alderdweller, I am sure not an expert but I used the rulers that were recommended by Bonnie to true up both the strings and the winged pieces. I even blunted the corners so I could match the sides exactly. TaDa.....3.5 by 6.5.

I used the recomended rulers too, I've had them for years and never used them till now - sure am glad this mystery quilt came along to get me familiar with them, and reminding me cut and sew accuratly - didn't have too much trimming to do, I really was impressed how great the rulers made things.

candi 01-06-2012 04:35 PM

Hi y'all. Well I don't have the rulers, but I just may buy them, lol. I pieced and cut most of my strings from clue 4, and assembled a couple of flying geese, my 3.5'' is good, the other side is an 1/8'' bigger, but I think I can fudge that...I hope anyway, lol. I am going to pay more attention piecing the rest of the flying geese, but if it's 1/8'' all that I am off, I have improved a lot :D:D:D

yayaquilts 01-06-2012 08:36 PM

So very excited as I finished Part 4 sewing of my large Red/burg/purple string blocks this afternoon. Still have to square them up, and then I plan to finish my small blue strings. (Still haven't peeked at Part 8 and the big reveal as yet!!)

Caroline S 01-06-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts (Post 4850107)
So very excited as I finished Part 4 sewing of my large Red/burg/purple string blocks this afternoon. Still have to square them up, and then I plan to finish my small blue strings. (Still haven't peeked at Part 8 and the big reveal as yet!!)

Wait till you get to part 5! Sewing those 700 triangles to the 2" HSTs of part 3 are a challenge for me. I am plugging away at them very slowly because I guess I get bored easily with the repetition. But I will get them done, I will, I will.