Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/penny-harens-%22pieced-applique-%22-1-block-week-begins-january-2011-a-t77062.html)

Deecee 05-15-2011 04:47 AM

Great job Jupiter. Love the fabrics in both blocks - especially the fussy cutting in your 6".

Deecee 05-15-2011 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Shirley's Star.

Whoever Shirley is, she must have wriggled at the last moment as the centre doesn't line up. :(

If it keeps annoying me, I won't re-do it but it just might acquire a black circle to match a few of the other blocks with centre circles. :D

Shirley's Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197674[/ATTACH]

Jupiter 05-16-2011 07:38 AM

Good Morning Deecee.... I think you are being too hard on yourself. I would count that as an exact match! Looks good to me..... Isn't it funny how quick we are to criticize our own work? Its a beautiful block and I love your colors!

When you stitched the central seam between the red and green sections, did you iron those seams open or did you press to opposite sides so you could lock the seam allowances together? I don't know which is best, but maybe get some scrap fabric and test both methods to see which way really is more accurate. .... (just a thought)

hugs, Jup

Irene V 05-16-2011 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good job, Deecee. Your center looks terrific. I'd leave it. Here is my "Shirley's Star."

Deecee 05-16-2011 01:18 PM

Great block Irene. I do love the look of all these striped fabrics. Have I said that before? :lol:

Jupiter, I usually press to the side to lock seams but have been pressing all seams open in these blocks (following PH's instructions).

I was probably just not careful enough when sewing that section together. If I had noticed it at that stage, I would have fixed it but I didn't notice until it was finished. I don't intend re-doing finished blocks unless they REALLY bug me.

That was probably one of the mornings I tried to fit in 10 minutes of sewing before I went to work. ;) More haste, less speed. :thumbup:

Irene V 05-20-2011 05:09 AM

Oh wow, Deecee. It looks like you and I have been abandoned this week. This week has been quiet here. I think I hear an echo in here, its so quiet...

Deecee 05-20-2011 02:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing Irene!

Deecee 05-22-2011 03:02 PM

I thought I must have missed notifications - but no - there are still no messages.

I am about to leave for work so will come back later to post this week's block - Starlight.

Deecee 05-23-2011 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
O.K. I am home from work now, so here is Starlight - I think this may be one of my favourite blocks.

Starlight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200972[/ATTACH]

Jupiter 05-23-2011 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I am a day late, but I am posting Shirley's Star anyway.

I fussed around with the 12" block long enough that I gave up. I decided that I really don't like these blocks in the 12" size. They look too clunky and waste a lot of fabric.
I've been thinking that for a few weeks now. Last night I gave myself permission to quit doing them.

I am still going to make a 12" block out of that fabric every week so that I have a full quilt made. I think they will go together alright with the blocks I've already made. So that being said, here is my 6" Shirley's Star.

hugs, Jupiter