Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Quilt Along January 2013 >
  • Quilt Along January 2013

• Quilt Along January 2013

Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by jaba
    Thanks dedemac, this 1 is the just "cut the pieces and sew together" don't have a problem with them, knock on wood at least so far. The paper piece one is in a million pieces in the trash can. Like your avatar by the way, is that a block or a full quilt?
    No it is about 2ft square, I am using it as practice for machine quilting which I have never done. It started as a replacement block for the Craftsy 2012 BOM and it just kinda morphed. All the fabrics except the blacks are non cottons. I used a mesh fabric I found in my stash to use as a backer for a mock paper piece since I needed it to stay. I am trying to get rid of 30 years of sewing scraps. Very little of what I have is normal quilting stuff. So all my blocks will be a little different. I loved the way the colors just keep coming at me. One of these days I will get it quilted, when I get the nerve up. Thank you
    Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Tesspug - thank you and I'm trying but it's hard. Well, he came home from the hospital yesterday and already not following the plan. This gets me very frustrated which, in turn, makes my fibromyalgia flare up. Now, with the stress, I think my TMJ is rearing its ugly head. My quilting (or any kind of sewing) helps distract me from what bothers me, physical and emotional so need to keep trying to find "me" time.
    Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Designed a new block today if anyone interested in trying it. Got antsy waiting for Friday and decided to do 3 random blocks on my own. One that I chose was called Contrary Wife. Super simple squares and HST. I found the squares to be too plain so decided to make them into 9-patch squares which should have been 4 1/2 inches when completed. Due to my fuzzy math skills, they came out to only 4 inches...what to do, what to do! I know. I'll make a little border on two sides of each and I will completely break the center one because now the 9-patch squares aren't all square. Next thing I know I am impersonating Eleanor Burns and tossing that center one right over my shoulder. Now what? Don't have enough scraps of the right color to make another 9 patch. Oh, but I have the bonus leftover HST from another block. YES!!!

I give you....Contrary Ex Wife!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]390050[/ATTACH]

Directions. Make 4 4 1/2 inch HST. Next, cut strips 1 3/4 inch by I dunno...20 inches? Yes, there is where my math went wonk. Guessing the strips should have been 2 inches, I digress. Make the 9-patch and trim to 4 inches if needed. Sew a 1 1/2 inch strip to the two corner sides and then trim it all down to equal 4 1/2 inches. Make the center windmill with 2 1/2 inch HST. Assemble as shown with the top left and bottom right nine-patch units color strip facing inward and opposing corners color strips facing outward.

Gosh I hope that made some sense!

Oh and here she has grown by 3 blocks.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]390052[/ATTACH]
    Made the Corn and Beans (upper left), Card Trick (upper center), and Contrary Ex Wife (center right). Not colors I would ever normally choose, but I like it!
    Attached Thumbnails img_1994.jpg   img_1995.jpg  
    Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Thank you so much. It seems that I am spending hours trying to find the blocks. I now have Jan and Feb and would sure help guidance finding the rest. Thanks again Juanita
    Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Page 19 of this thread
    Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Sew Tracey....I like your style!!!
    Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM

okay spent afternoon and evening getting caught up on the blocks. Nothing went right but perseverance paid off. the third picture is not one of the blocks on the list--it is what happens when you dont pay attention to which way seams should be going when you sew those squares to the corne[ATTACH=CONFIG]390263[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]390264[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]390265[/ATTACH]rs to make the slants. Cute block but definitely not the Balkan Puzzle.
    Attached Thumbnails interlocking-ribbons.jpg   balkan-puzzle.jpg   non-balkan.jpg  
    Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Will be posting pictures in a little while, I'm almost caught up and ready for tomorrows blocks. Had to change up how I was doing the blocks, they are all going to be one BIG quilt...LOL

Rosie the Wyldwytch
    Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Default block

This is the one I did in place of the paper piece. It's called star and crowns, not so difficult a pattern just lots of pieces to put together and get them lined up[ATTACH=CONFIG]390414[/ATTACH]I'm all caught up and ready for the next 2 blocks.
    Attached Thumbnails dscf1057.jpg  
    Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM

Well, here they are...LOL Still have more to go but it's coming along.

Hope this works, let me know what you think of the on point setting...honest opinions...LOL

Rosie the Wyldwytch