Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Quilt Along January 2013 >
  • Quilt Along January 2013

• Quilt Along January 2013

Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
    SO....my question is this -- is there a plan down the road for these blocks? Or, is it whatever we want to do with them? If there isn't a plan, then I'm good since I can make scrappy blocks and worry about how they're going to play with each other later.
    There is no plan, what ever you want to do with the blocks when done is up to you. You can do all the blocks, only the easy one, only the challenging ones, etc. And make what ever you want to make.

Me personally, I am making 2 quilts, one of each type (easy/challenge) and doing quilt as you go, then gonna donate the two quilts to what ever thing my guild donates to. I just liked playing along and trying out new things.

Mainly this was to get everyone trying different things/blocks they might not ordinarily try, and to visit with each other about them.

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Hold on, you call all those flying geese easy? Holy spray starch!! Dotty
    Easy blocks should be easy enough for a beginner, yet still a little challenging, otherwise this wouldnt be a learning experience, right? I have 100% faith you can do it, I have seen your blocks so far and just know you can!

And Wyld, always happy to help out where and when I can being the bossy type, I kinda naturally fall into leading
    Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Well I would have had the Axe and Churn done today....BUT I forgot to cut some of the pieces...and then I sewed somethings wrong whoopsie

Thanks for the compliments on my colors I wasn't sure about them when I got started, but I am kind of starting to like it now that it's coming together more. I'm just using extra fabric I have in my pitiful stash LOL
    Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Sew_tracy: I think sashing the color of your design wall would be perfect! I don't know that I would use black.. your colors are lovely and punchy, and black may contrast with them too much.

Here is my Axe and Churn-- last block I cut with the crappy rotary cutter, before my machine, Luna, went to the doctor. Not great, but whew! Too complicated to redo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]392759[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails photo-9-.jpg  

Last edited by frenchfryqueen; 02-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Wyldwytch, um the title still reads January 2013 quilt along areyou going to open a Feb one? I looked all over for it lol and well here the instructions were.

Nice colors everyone and I say go at your own pace if the block is harder than your own comfort zone without standby assistance then try another simple block to fill in that space. Everyone learns differently and in the end the object for me anyways is to have fun. if its too hard your tearing out your teeth.. do a different one that builds your confidence. Repeat that one til you have it down pat then try the next one. or skip around one mans tough is another mans easy. ie the comment on flying geese. you girls are doing great. keep it up!
    Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM

sew Tracy - make sure you audition that black sashing. It might take away from all your work. just a thought. Love your colors!

CarolynMT - Thanks for the input. I thought this was the case but sometimes I forget or don't "absorb" the info correctly (it's a fibro thing). I have some other coordinates groups that I can grab and start using too...NOW, it's getting exciting.

Last edited by vickig626; 02-03-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Hmmmm I will have to see if I can add to the title or edit it. I'm afraid if we open a new one people won't find it. I will check into it in a little bit, making a cheesecake right now for hubby since I just went and bought more fabric (was only supposed to go get thread).....OOPS!

Rosie the Wyldwytch

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    Wyldwytch, um the title still reads January 2013 quilt along areyou going to open a Feb one? I looked all over for it lol and well here the instructions were.

Nice colors everyone and I say go at your own pace if the block is harder than your own comfort zone without standby assistance then try another simple block to fill in that space. Everyone learns differently and in the end the object for me anyways is to have fun. if its too hard your tearing out your teeth.. do a different one that builds your confidence. Repeat that one til you have it down pat then try the next one. or skip around one mans tough is another mans easy. ie the comment on flying geese. you girls are doing great. keep it up!
    Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Well I found a few more fabrics that will work with the sampler. Here they are...

AND here is some fabric that I just fell in love with, 40% too.....

Tell me what you think....

Rosie
    Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 PM

sew-Tracy - You're blocks look fabulous together!

rosie - love the bright colors

I need to get back to sewing blocks.
    Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Wyld,

Love the fishes, coral and the purple!!! Where did you find them?
    Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM

I did the chain and bar block this week. Here are the six I have completed.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn0325-640x480-.jpg