Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >
  • Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

• Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM

As I am a Minnesotan, I'm going to do an "up north" theme - sky (I'd love to do the Northern lights but don't know if I can pull that one off). I got ideas in my head just so I can now transfer them to rows. It sounds like fun.
    Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM

terriamn - I'm doing rows as I have never done one of those.
    Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM

karamarie the northern lights is a wonderful idea.would look brilliant
    Old 02-27-2015, 04:14 AM

Northern lights - like a mini bargello.
    Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 AM

you can sew the rows easily if you do straight across rows. have the design meld with the other and sew as if you were doing a regular quilt but do not add sashing if you chose to do a more abstract design you will have to figure say angled seams and such. I am horrid at this and cant help you but surely someone here can.

if you have started your project your ahead of me. I have the fabrics out on the table next to my sewing machine so I am almost done (lol). ok I have them pulled. now I think I need some yellow and pink for a rising or setting sun right? maybe a tad of orange if its sunset? mine is a sunrise or sunset on the water besides a sandy beach. so do I go sunrise with tads of pinks or more sunset with more oranges/yellows? guess its time to hit the stash and find what scraps I do have! I will be working on my first block on Sunday with you guys and share the colors I have pulled so far. I keep getting ahead of myself, pulling sand colors lol and oh beach towels. hello.. start up on top and work your way down girl! I need you guys btw. I have to push myself to keep going to keep being creative. Once I start something I am obligated so to speak lol. Now I have to perform! I figure I can get out three blocks a week so I should be ok. mine is going to be 4 blocks across. this will give me room to add a row or traditional blocks all around my scene. you know.. mai tais lol and oh star fish things like that. I am not so much into applique groan so this is going to push me big time. then it will be a breeze. a couple rounds of beachy prints or colors and I will have this done. This is my big goal of the entire year. I kid you not. I have six baby quilts to do or finish. I have one big quilt that needs but 2 blocks and I am stalling doing it. why? no idea at all. and I have three ufo Christmas block sets in my bin of ufo's to do. Enough for one year I think. more than enough for three if you ask me! that one quilt is big for me at 80 x 90. ugh. I am dreading finishing that one. quilting? oh sure. I need my friends for those things. baby quilts I can do. big quilts no way in heck... grin. I am impressed by those who take on queen or king size quilts. More like in awe. yup you win. whatever prize they give seriously great quilters like those you win. I am going to sit here and be proud with my large lap quilts lol. yahoo! two more days ladies. Do you have your fabrics picked for your top section? if so post a picture and let us know what your going to make! if you have just figured out what you want tell us! come on! talk!!!
    Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM

I am going to watch from the sidelines, I am afraid I Have too many 'to do's right now. You guys are all ready inspiring me. May jump in later.
    Old 02-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Karamarie I am also from Minnesta, live on Minneapolis Edina border about 1.5 miles from Southdale Mall
    Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM

Brat how big are you going to make your 4 squares?
    Old 02-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie
    As I am a Minnesotan, I'm going to do an "up north" theme - sky (I'd love to do the Northern lights but don't know if I can pull that one off). I got ideas in my head just so I can now transfer them to rows. It sounds like fun.
    I looked on both Google Images and Pinterest for 'northern lights quilt pattern' and found lots of inspiring ideas.

I'm going to make mine as a wall hanging so it won't be more than 36" wide, if that. I might use northern lights idea on the next one. I'm going to use batiks and am waiting for some to arrive before I can start.

Last edited by whitepine; 02-27-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 PM

I am going to make them 12.5 inches then do a row of traditional on top and bottom and then a side strip maybe in a smaller size say 6.5 inches with tropical birds, things like this. and then border and frame them.

I just saw this book which look to have perfect examples and well.. ideas to work around or off of and its not that expensive all in all. just think you might want to check it out and you might see the basic strip idea. its called "lovely landscape quilts" and has a ton of ideas in it!
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/igUAAOSwiCRUkdjj/$_1.JPG