Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >
  • "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

• "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Thank you carriem I did not know that about the cd I will check it out. If I could pp most of them that would be a plus. I am with OK, need to get some UFO's cleaned up and finished. I did finish a couple small things and got one top together that has been part way done for over a year
    Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddiction
    Hello I've just found this thread and would love to join in. I tried PP in the New York Beauty BOM and couldn't get it to work for me. I've done a bit more sewing and quilting since then (nearly a year) so I'll give it another go. May not be as fast as you all but that's OK. These blocks are so pretty. I've printed out some patterns and will look in my stash tonight to see what I can use.
    Welcome Quiltaddiction! These are the most patient ladies on the planet! If ya fall behind they will just wait for ya ta post your lovely blocks. I'm almost a year behind on my Pony Club blocks & they are always there for encouragement. Even if mine aren't that good. Be forewarned we like ta chat alot!

PS here is the link ta the page for the first block.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/sye-spike-your-english-bom-quilt-along-september-t229346-18.html#post6288289
    Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM

frustrated, you can pp a lot of Jane blocks. The CD is very helpful. There's an internetsite Thatquilt where you can look how every block can be made. That is very helpful too. In the Dear Jane thread here on the board are many instructions too.
    I still have to figure out the applique. I did needleturn on the blocks I made but I don't like needleturn and some of the pieces are really tiny.
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by frustratedquilter40
    I got the DJ book from a friend but no cd with it though not sure I want to undertake such a huge project and most those blocks look very intimidating to me
    Here is the link to the DJ thread I've been working with (hope the link works).
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...n-t175669.html

I've been working from the book only. I didn't want to 'mess' with the CD because I'm not that techy and when I want to quilt I don't want to have technology in my way. I've used my Featherweight and hand applique to make all my DJ blocks. You can do the blocks with the book only, however, I think a lot of people do find the CD helpful because you can print out the pieces for paper piecing. Some of the blocks are difficult, but if you take your time I'm sure you can do them. Monica (the lady who started the thread) coded them as easy to difficult. She mixed up the order so that not all the difficult ones are at the end. But you could do them in any order you chose to and work your way up to the more difficult ones.
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 AM

Anael....that DJ site is really interesting. O dear....if I hang around a slipper slope long enough I just might fall in.
    The biggest question I have is how in the world do you ever select fabrics for something like this. I have signed up for the LQS BOM, Quilts from El's Kitchen which begins in January but that is an easy one a month. I think I have my colors figured out for SYE and have blocks 2&4 completed. Need to redo block 1.
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:50 AM

GG, great site isn't it?
    I follow the original Jane colorwise but I want to use what I have and don't want to buy lots of fabrics.
    We could do a fabric exchange

Why would you redo your block # 1? Don't you like it?
    Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM

Ggal--for me I am going to do just 2-3 fabrics. I just haven't decided what colors I want yet. There are a couple samples I've found and really like those...one layout is in the main book and the other is in the book that comes with the EQ cd.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM

WOW! Can you do a DJ with only 2 or 3 fabrics? I havent bought the book... or even looked through it to see if it is something I think I can do. hmmmm definitely interested, lets see if I can get my hands on a copy
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
    Power Poster

Hey DD how many fabrics did you use for the PC quilt and it looks fabulous!
    Thanks for the Thatquilt info Anael.
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Have you all noticed Mirabelle has been busy putting the SYE block instructions on line for us...its just for the instructions that we all can access any time we want too; its so nice of Honchey and Mirabelle to set it up that way; first three are posted.