Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • Very Special BOW for the Pony Club Quilt >
  • Very Special BOW for the Pony Club Quilt

• Very Special BOW for the Pony Club Quilt

Old 10-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Hi, I haven't got my book yet but, have worked on the FWS quilt using Marti Michelll templates at my local LQS doing it in Batiks.

Donna C.
    Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 AM

I've done two blocks using the pping foundation method, but the third one uses templates and seems to have a lot of "y" seams. I don't have any idea how to do it. There isn't a foundation pattern to use. It is the "A Beauty" pattern. Anyone tried it?
    Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Wendy when I opened the Pony club book and saw that first block I said "no way"--I hate, hate Y-seams. I did my whole FWS quilt with templates and loved it. I tried A Beauty just for practice with scrap fabrics. Ha!! After my third attempt, 4 of the Y seams were fine but all the rest were poofy and lumpy. I figure since we're not starting til January I can practice some more. I don't think there's a way to pp this block; if someone figures out a way, I hope they share it or my very 1st block is going to maybe be my last LOL.

The FWS group has a lot of talented quilters in it so I'm hoping someone will come up with suggestions. That was what was so great doing ths quilt along--everyone shared tips, knowledge, and especially encouragement. Can you tell I miss them?
    Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 AM
    Power Poster

MissyJanRN ... I DO NOT want to hear/read such!
    I choose to live in denial!!!!

It might be easier for me to quit NOW, while I'm ahead!! :)
    gggrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
    Wendy when I opened the Pony club book and saw that first block I said "no way"--I hate, hate Y-seams. I did my whole FWS quilt with templates and loved it. I tried A Beauty just for practice with scrap fabrics. Ha!! After my third attempt, 4 of the Y seams were fine but all the rest were poofy and lumpy. I figure since we're not starting til January I can practice some more. I don't think there's a way to pp this block; if someone figures out a way, I hope they share it or my very 1st block is going to maybe be my last LOL.

The FWS group has a lot of talented quilters in it so I'm hoping someone will come up with suggestions. That was what was so great doing ths quilt along--everyone shared tips, knowledge, and especially encouragement. Can you tell I miss them?
    I DON'T PLAN TO QUIT THIS BOW, BUT I MAY SKIP THIS PARTICULAR BLOCK...UNLESS I GET SOME SERIOUS TIPS.....LOL!
    Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

gggrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
    No! No! No! Don't quit.....the first two were fun....As I understand it, only two have to be done with templates.....I plan to skip any I just can't figure out....after all, this is suppose to be FUN!!!
    Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq
    Originally Posted by QuiltE

gggrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
    No! No! No! Don't quit.....the first two were fun....As I understand it, only two have to be done with templates.....I plan to skip any I just can't figure out....after all, this is suppose to be FUN!!!
    Hey - no quitters here! There were a few blocks in my FWS quilt that turned out pretty bad, but I just decided not to put them in my quilt. I think if I cannot do this block, I'll just do the best I can. Jan you are more patient than me. If I have to tear it out more than three times, it just stays the way it is! LOL
    Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 AM

I found that when you put that many blocks together a few little missed points is no big deal. I learnt to enjoy the journey and have fun with it. The FWS group was so much fun to "sew with" and each week there was always someone to encourage you.
    I hope you all join us at the Pony Club BOW it will be so much fun
    Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle
    I found that when you put that many blocks together a few little missed points is no big deal. I learnt to enjoy the journey and have fun with it. The FWS group was so much fun to "sew with" and each week there was always someone to encourage you.
    I hope you all join us at the Pony Club BOW it will be so much fun
    Right you are mirabelle! No one notices the little mistakes (squares and points not quite on) when it is all put together. They just see the colors and shapes as a whole! I sometimes think we are too critical of our work. When we are so "close" doing each block it is frustrating because we can really see our little mistakes, but when they are all put together they just disappear.
    Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 AM

JeanieG and all you others whose replies/posts are in different fonts and/or colors: How do you do that??! The gray whatever-it-is font is so blah! Thanks for your help! (I know the trick is somewhere I have yet to explore )