Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst! >
  • "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

• "Camping Trip"...your Best or Worst!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Broke Foot.....this is how I did it. . . On June 11, 2010 My husband & I went in our fairly new camper trailer, pulled it only 35 miles from home. We enjoyed it for 2 days, on the 3rd day one of my daughters brought our 4 yr. & 12 yr. grands. Only 3 min. after they arived, I stepped out the camper & POW....I was so excited to have the grands there & rushed out the camper and missed the bottom step! OUCH, I broke my ankle in 3 places, One plate, 10 screws, & a WHOLE lota money later I am casted in neon pink with rhinestones. I don't even feel like quilting. Pretty bad hu!
    I would say this was the worst for me. The best time has to be, every other time.
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM

well one year my mom wanted to go canping really bad. SOOOO i talked my Dh into taking her . But she didn't want to hike, fish , grill outdoors. she just wanted to sta inside and play cards. My Dh was bummed out . He treated her wonderful but said never again :)
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Hehehe... I'm the wrong person to ask. I do my very best camping in the nearest Marriott. :lol:
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 PM

My husband and I just had our worst. We had been seeing carpenter ants all evening, the first evening. When we went to put the sheets on the bed, we saw a few more, then more, then more. My husband started digging further kind of under the mattress, and he said "Oh my gosh." Then, "OH MY GOSH!!" The bed was absolutely infested with carpenter ants. Thousands of them.

We have a sleep number mattress in our RV. We had to take the mattress completely apart. Then we had to take the platform that it sits on completely apart. Then we did battle FOR HOURS vacuuming them up, spraying, shaking things out, until we finally went for five minutes without seeing any more. Then we put things all back together. Only then, at 2:00 a.m. were we able to go to sleep.

I thought I might have the creepy crawlies all night, but I didn't. And it seems that we completely defeated them in that night. We saw maybe half a dozen more over the week, but now none. Definitely the worst camping trip ever.
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM

My worst camping trip was in the San Juan Islands. My dad took all us of Me, my sister, brother, step brother and step sister, along with the wicked step mother (LOL), to Turn-Around Island. It's a VERY SMALL island off close to Friday Harbor. The 'beach' was rock covered. The only thing on the island was an out house a LONG ways into the woods. My dad pitched the tent. That night it rain as only it can rain in July in Washington. My brother kept getting up during the night and moving around waking me up periodically and of course annoying my (I was 15 yrs old). In the morning we all woke to about 5 inches of rain inside the tent! My dad had put a plastic canvas under the tent but left it sticking out all the way around the tent about a foot and a half. Of course he and step mom were nice and drive as they had the cushions from the bow of the boat. We loaded up all the camping supplies and put them on the boat only to go out about 200 feet from the island so my dad could "whip" my step brother - WHO totally deserved it is all I can remember. That ended our camping trip. We spent hours at the laundry in Friday Harbor washing and drying out sleeping bags and then moved to the youth hostel for the remainder of the trip. I still don't camp to this day and that story is from the early/mid 80s.
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
    My husband and I just had our worst. We had been seeing carpenter ants all evening, the first evening. When we went to put the sheets on the bed, we saw a few more, then more, then more. My husband started digging further kind of under the mattress, and he said "Oh my gosh." Then, "OH MY GOSH!!" The bed was absolutely infested with carpenter ants. Thousands of them.

We have a sleep number mattress in our RV. We had to take the mattress completely apart. Then we had to take the platform that it sits on completely apart. Then we did battle FOR HOURS vacuuming them up, spraying, shaking things out, until we finally went for five minutes without seeing any more. Then we put things all back together. Only then, at 2:00 a.m. were we able to go to sleep.

I thought I might have the creepy crawlies all night, but I didn't. And it seems that we completely defeated them in that night. We saw maybe half a dozen more over the week, but now none. Definitely the worst camping trip ever.
    Gives me the shivers just reading your story.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
    Originally Posted by catrancher

Gives me the shivers just reading your story.
    Me too ... Did a picnic not long ago about 30 min in to putting somthing on the table were overran... decided to try somthing rather than worry on it, brushed them off, followed the trail and fed them down stream of where we were, little later they were all off the table, munching much closer to their home. Couldn't believed it worked !!
    Glad you scared'em off !!! :)
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM

When I was a kid we had a cabin in the Sierra Nevada Mountains outside the tiny town of Markleeville, CA. No TV, radio or phone, but we did have hot and cold running water, tiny bathroom, two bedrooms and an upstairs loft. It was heaven! A few miles down a dirt road was a rustic hot springs swimming pool with moss growing on the sides and bottom, usually a lovely 102-105 degrees...perfect for a bit of a sit every night before bed, even in a howling blizzard where we all wore broad-brimmed hats to keep the snow off our heads!

Camping for us (never knew there was any other kind when I was growing up) was backpacking in the Sierras, definitely roughing it cuz anything you wanted you had to pack in and pack the trash out! Ah, those freeze-dried meals! The first night we always ate well - frozen steaks that were thawed by the time we got where we were going.

Those were the days!
    Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Hung out at Edison Lake some years ago, yukie drive, but nice once you were there, one afternoon were hanging out at Mono hot springs, it started raining w/lightning, Hot bubblin water, cold beer, light show, what more could you ask for... Told Mom about it later, she said TG he watches out for children and fools. Kind of amazing we made it to adulthood !! :)
    Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 AM

I made many camping trips but there is always one,you never forget, I left with a girl friend,a pup tent for which the poles had been replaced by cut hockey sticks and the ropes by sisal rope, Our first night at Crawford Notch N.H, we set the tent in a depression, it started raining during the night so we had to move in the car, When we woke up the next morning, the car was surrounded by the other campers worrying what had happened to the two French Canadians girls.We were treated with an excellent breakfast and lots of advice. Campers and quilters are very similar, always ready to help you