Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • "Little House on the Prarie" >
  • "Little House on the Prarie"

• "Little House on the Prarie"

Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ShirlR
    We dearly love this show. We watch it on Hallmark and also on TV Land. Funny, we never watched it when it was on years ago when it was first produced, but now we enjoy it so much. Maybe it's because the world is so different now, it is beautiful to step back in time and see life as it was then. I almost always wind up teary-eyed at the end of every episode, unless, of course, Mrs. Oleson or Nellie get their come-uppance in some manner. LOL! But you have to hand it to both Mrs. Oleson and Nellie, they really played their parts well! (Smiles)
    They sure did!!
    Oh gosh, we used to watch The Waltons every week and I teared up at the end of every show!!! I had just been married and moved far from my parents and missed them so much. That show would do me in :D
    I love shows that let us escape into a wonderful place!
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:06 AM

I read the books when I was younger then again when my sons were in younger grades. Loved the shows and have bought many of the DVD's, We only get 3 channels so don't get to see it on tv, but Loved pretty much all of them.
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 AM

YES YES YES! More and more I am drawn to the older shows and movies. I find I need a break from the "reality shows", breaking news, mind bending video special effects and real murder investigations (NCIS SVU) and other stuff that gets my adreneline going. Love Gunsmoke (sorry to hear about James Arness death), Father Knows Best etc. My poor brain needs a break!
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 AM

We still watch 2 episodes of Gunsmoke every day. I sure hope they don't pull that off too. Please consider visiting the museum where Laura's clothes are and Pa's fiddle. So many things are displayed. There are alot of differences between the program and reality, but it is still a nice story. Rose was quite a traveler; she made several treks to Europe and was quite an intelligent woman.
    Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 AM

I think I saw every episode of "House on he Prairie" and "The Waltons". I really enjoyed them and my daughter did too. I still watch them occasionally when I come across them. Someone mentioned "The New Beginning" of "House". I don't remember why they started that, was that before or after Michael Landon passed away?
    Old 06-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Did anyone see on the news the other day when James Arness passed away that he was not the first choice for the part, John Wayne was. He declined it and recommended his friend James Arness for the part. Learn something new every day. I loved "Gunsmoke" too.
    Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 AM

There is so little to watch on TV, even with a sattelite. I ordered the complete DVD sets of I Love Lucy, Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, Andy of Mayberry and Leave it to Beaver. Now I can have something good to watch any time. Next on the order list is The Dick Van Dyke Show.
    Old 06-05-2011, 12:24 PM

I've read all the books to my kids; given my grandchildren copies and also happen to be related to Laura Ingalls Wilder... How's that?

I believe I am a cousin, five generations removed. She wrote to my Aunt all the time and died when I was 10 years old.

How sad to have never met her. :-D
    Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 PM

FYI: Waltons marathon on Hallmark Channel until 10:00 tonight, my time.
    Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I always wanted to be Laura! I did make a costume for Halloween when I was older. I always liked Nels Olsen. He always had a good heart and had to deal with that miserable family. I never understood how Carrie and Grace just "disappeared" in later years!