"Weigh In"

Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 AM

April, you can start to lose even if you can't exercise right now. I too have a hard time exercising because of bad knees. So I just started to watch how many calories I was eating and decided to eat around 1400 - 1600 a day and the weight starting coming off without exercising. I know it's important to exercise, but don't think that you can't lose weight without it. Once you see the scale go down, you can add some light exercise or start walking a little (hopefully the weather will cooperate by then). This worked for me and I have a very sluggish metabolism.

You can do this!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
I had posted earlier on this thread and I really need to truly watch it daily and get going. When I became pregnant in 2005 I was 270 pounds :-( Throughout my pregnancy I lost weight and I came home from the hospital after having my 9 pound daughter at 198. I started to gain it all back and decided no this is not the direction I want to go in so to the gym I headed. Well in December of 2008 I became ill and ended up just crashing. I eat poorly when I don't feel well and I started back up. I could not go to the gym due to the working out could have caused severe complications for me. In July of 2009 they put a shunt in my spine to alleviate the pressure on my brain and my doctor recommended I get the weight off by swimming-where does one swim when it is 10 degrees outside?? I am starting this thread at 252 :-( Let's see what happens.
Hugs
April
Gee, sounds like you have a bit of a challenge. Good luck with finding a place to swim. Do you have a YMAC in your area. They usually offer open swim and they sometimes have water aerobic classes. My friend went to water aerobics classes at one of the high schools. Maybe you could find a mom and tot program and take your little girl with you. It would be a good lesson in getting involved in healthy activity and a great bonding experience with her.
Linda
Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltylori
Hi Everyone...I love this website...quilting and weight loss! I have been on a weight loss/gain all of my life. Right now my hubby and I are on a year long journey to see how much we can lose in one year. We started last July 7 and so far have lost 57 pounds. It has been a slow loss, about 8 pounds a month, but it has been the best "diet" I've been on. Need to lose more, so I will be coming back here for encouragement and to give encouragement to others.
Welcome. Sure hope you will share some of the secrets to your success. That is a very remarkable weight loss.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by carolevidak
I really have a very, very hard time drinking water. Don't know why - but most days I do not drink any unless it is in tea or coffee. I know it is suppose to flush out the whatever, but I keep thinking of the water weight it will cause.
It is kind of hard to get in the water if you don't like it. I focused on drinking water for two weeks. I actually wrote 64 oz on a post-it,(8--8 oz glasses) and then as I finished off a 16 oz glass or bottle of water, I would subtract it. It was a bit of a game, which I love. (I try to create a game out of everything I despise doing but supposedly it is good for me.) If I drink a glass in the morning, then with lunch, then in the afternoon, then with dinner. I have my 64 oz in. And it didn't kill me to do it. So for two weeks I really concentrated on it and the first week I lost 3 lbs, the second week I lost 2 lbs. Then last week I gained .6. When I looked back on what I had done differently it was the water. I had stopped focusing on it. So this week I am back to writing it down again. We will see what happens on Thursday, my weigh in day.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM

JanRN: You go! Congrats!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by laparshall

Gee, sounds like you have a bit of a challenge. Good luck with finding a place to swim. Do you have a YMAC in your area. They usually offer open swim and they sometimes have water aerobic classes. My friend went to water aerobics classes at one of the high schools. Maybe you could find a mom and tot program and take your little girl with you. It would be a good lesson in getting involved in healthy activity and a great bonding experience with her.
Linda
Hi Linda
Our local Y is closed for renovations :-( They hope to be open by spring but we shall see. I did not think about the high school though. I will give them a call and see-thank you so much for the thought! And my daughter loves the water an even better idea-thank you!
Hugs
April
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 AM

April: Your welcome. Our hospital has a therapy pool too, but you have to have a prescription to use it. Perhaps that would be another option. Good luck finding something.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Welcome to all the new faces!! We're here to support and encourage you and you can add your suggestions too. I need all the help I can get!!
Did lose 2 lbs FINALLY!! The suggestions for soup and low cal frozen dinners have reallly helped me after work. I don't just grab whatever's around and then graze all evening. I'm still packing 100 calorie snacks for work and that seems to help,too. Drug reps are always bringing bagel, cookies, etc., and I haven't even been tempted.
You guys are the greatest inspiration!!
Off to work-have a healthy eating day. Stay warm and safe-we're supposed to get 8-10 more inches of snow on top of our 23 inches. (I hate snow!!)
YAYYY!!!!! I am celebrating with you!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 AM

My only worry is having ugly stretched skin that is hanging everywhere... I'm not that huge... but even at my weight it has happened... Thats my biggest fear and I don't want that... I really want to get rid of this stupid pouch at the bottom of my stomach too... so long as that ugly thing goes away the better... It's so hard to lose though!

My best friend used to be overweight and all she had to do was sit ups and push ups to get rid of hers... I know this is true cause her Grandmother wouldn't let her get a gym pass or really leave the house except for school. Her Grandma was old school Italian... or i should say Old Country Italian... wonderful lady though!

But I always hear, sit ups and crunchs don't do anything... and bla bla bla... and I'm like... well they did before your miracle product came along...

I'm thinking of getting one of those balance balls... so that when I'm on the computer I can sit on that and improve my posture. I know those work... and as for weights I'll start with resistance bands...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM

I've decided I need a new scale despite the squishy floors. I bigger digital read-out for my old eyes and one that does those tenths of a pound readings. This scale is easily 20 plus years old and has been dropped, banged around, etc.