"Weigh In"

Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM

trupeach, that's a great idea!! I hate throwing food away!
YTQ
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

This is another recipe I invented.........

Apple Turnover

1 8inch flour tortilla wrap
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
pinch ground cloves and nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Mix cloves and nutmeg in applesauce. Put applesauce in the center of the wrap. With water wet edges of the wrap. Flip wrap in 1/2 and press edges to seal. Put non stick skillet on med. Put turnover in skillet, cook about 3-5 minutes or until golden, turn and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove and dust with cinnamon. Serves 2 each serving is about 100 calories per serving. Different company wraps have different calories. To gild the lily top with 1/4 c plain yogurt with 1/4 tsp vanilla mixed in.

Instead of applesauce you can use a 4oz jar of baby fruit of your choice and do the same thing. I like peach or pear turnovers too. Fresh fruit doesn't work well as it doesn't get cooked. Fresh berries work OK but they get kind of juicy canned fruit works great.

If you want it sweeter add FAKE sugar(sugar substitue) to it. I don't do FAKE ANYTHING so you will have to figure out how much you will need.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by laparshall
No please post your low cal recipes and ideas here, I don't frequent the other site, and I think it is appropriate to have them right here in what I like to consider our "safe" place.
I second that. I don't have a lot of time to check the posts and if they are somewhere else, I may not see them. I look forward to all the ideas and recipes. :-)
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by janRN
I am the champion of grazers!! That's my biggest problem esp in the evenings. I got some great hints here to make sure I do eat dinner (I was just eating toast when I got home from work). Another thing that helps is making up packets of 100 cal snacks: 11 pretzels, 1 cookie, 5 Triscuits (yes I'm anal and I count every piece LOL). It seems to help when it's laying out in front of me.
Another bad habit: when I clean up after dinner and there's "just a bite" of this or that left, I'd eat it!! I bet I had 200 more calories just cleaning the dishes-I thought maybe calories don't count when you eat them standing up. I am breaking this habit pronto.
Hope these couple of hints help--please keep posting more of yours, I've learned so much here.
Good losses ladies and hope you all have a healthy eating day!!
Everything helps, JanRN. Thank you for your suggestions. :-)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach
I am the champion of grazers!! That's my biggest problem esp in the evenings. I got some great hints here to make sure I do eat dinner (I was just eating toast when I got home from work). Another thing that helps is making up packets of 100 cal snacks: 11 pretzels, 1 cookie, 5 Triscuits (yes I'm anal and I count every piece LOL). It seems to help when it's laying out in front of me.
Another bad habit: when I clean up after dinner and there's "just a bite" of this or that left, I'd eat it!! I bet I had 200 more calories just cleaning the dishes-I thought maybe calories don't count when you eat them standing up. I am breaking this habit pronto.
Hope these couple of hints help--please keep posting more of yours, I've learned so much here.
When you have just a bit of this or that leftover from dinner DON"T throw it out. Put it all veggies, salad, pototoes, meat what ever in a container in a few days add a beef or chicken cube to it along with water. Microwave about 5 minutes and you will have a nice cup/bowl of soup. I hate to waste anything I am a minimalist and that is how I survive on the income I receive. :-D :-D :-D
This sounds good too, Tru. I had to stop using boullion "cubes" because of the MSG. It makes me itch all over and sometimes even get hives. I found the same thing without the MSG (monosodium glutamate). If anyone else has a problem, Swanson makes broth without the MSG.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 AM

I finally got my husband on board - he also needs to lose weight because of his diabetes. three cheers. Now I can fix one meal instead of two!!

We were recently told that a good goal is to have a waist measurement of 1/2 your height. So we are going to aim for that. It will help me work more on the exercise end of things, because when the muscles are toned, the waist goes in. :lol: I will still weigh in, and keep tabs here, because I need everyone's support.

You guys are the BEST! It is great encouragement for me to come here and read about your successes. And thanks for the great recipes! :thumbup: They help!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 AM

On Monday I did the eliptical for 20 mins. Tuesday I walked around the mall w/Ms Morgan do'n her tryke from 10am-4:00pm (and I didn't even get to shop). Yesterday I didn't exercize at all.

I've been taking my iron tablet 2x a day, but I haven't really cut back on my eating yet. I'll keep try'n!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
On Monday I did the eliptical for 20 mins. Tuesday I walked around the mall w/Ms Morgan do'n her tryke from 10am-4:00pm (and I didn't even get to shop). Yesterday I didn't exercize at all.

I've been taking my iron tablet 2x a day, but I haven't really cut back on my eating yet. I'll keep try'n!
That's awesome! you are headed in the right direction with the exercise first. It may be what motivates you to start cutting back on your eating or to make healthier food choices.

QuiltMom, it's so much easier to fix one meal, glad your hubby is with you :D When I lose weight then my husband does too!!

PhyllisM said (quote) i rejoined again the gym that is close by my house cause they cut their dues in half did that in Jan. haven't been yet. ate 3 mini icecream sandwiches todays one of these day I'll get back on it been quilting too much teehee WAY TO GO!!!! Glad you are here with us.

Here is a recipe I use for a quickie dessert that my family enjoys and even my friends. It really does not taste low cal.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

Take a box of spice cake mix and add to it 1/2 cup applesauce and 1 small can pumpkin (16oz) In a large bowl mix together, until mixed. Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake for 25 to 30 min at 350 degrees. Let cool and serve with low cal cool whip.
Cut into pieces of 12 and it is 100 cal per slice or 2pts. I like to keep my cake in frig so it stays cold but you don't have to. ENJOY!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Originally Posted by trupeach
When you have just a bit of this or that leftover from dinner DON"T throw it out. Put it all veggies, salad, pototoes, meat what ever in a container in a few days add a beef or chicken cube to it along with water. Microwave about 5 minutes and you will have a nice cup/bowl of soup. I hate to waste anything I am a minimalist and that is how I survive on the income I receive. :-D :-D :-D
This sounds good too, Tru. I had to stop using boullion "cubes" because of the MSG. It makes me itch all over and sometimes even get hives. I found the same thing without the MSG (monosodium glutamate). If anyone else has a problem, Swanson makes broth without the MSG.
The only kind of boullion cubes without MSG is HerbOx. Every store in NY sold them but can't find them anywhere in Ohio so I order it from Amazon. Thay don't always have it because they get sold out pretty fast. I DON"T ingest MSG it make my throat close. Actually I don't eat any chemicals.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Love all the recipes - thank you so much!!!!

CAROLE