1960s Marriage Guidance!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Plus - my Granny always said 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'! :mrgreen:
My Mamaw always said "You may catch a man with face powder, but you keep a man with baking powder". :)
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charismah
I think across all people we need to be loved and appreciated just for being and not what we are ..gender, heritage whatever....
Here here! :D
Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned

THis is the funniest post ever! Billy you need to go on the road with your comedic talents!

I have to say my husband knew what he was getting as well.. :shock: ..and he still wanted to marry me ..so anytime we get into a scuffle ..I just have to bring that up... :wink: HE was uses to be an only child waited on hand and foot by his mother/grandmother...6 kids and me later..I think not..he is my partner not my child! HE is going to help me serve kids and then serve himself.

During my feminism class we would get in heated deabtes about class discussions though becuase I love debating with him..I think I always win..he doesn't know what he is talking about..lol...and i think he always thinks he wins....even more funny LOL :roll:

Once I hit the pillow i am a gonner..I have way to much going on...so face cream...will go on so he can see me alnaturale! and rollers....that is why hot ones were invented..so we wouldn't have to sleep with them and get neck cramps! it is all about comfort right? I better send that memo to my shoes! :shock:
Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I like the Mrs. Doubtfire's face cream scene when Robin Williams sticks his face in a frosted cake. I'd be stretching my tongue clear to my ears.

Honestly, I wish someone would have taught me how to be a girly-girl but my mother was very strict. She didn't support pampering and did not allow make up. I had a girl-friend give me some as a gift (remember blue eye shadow? :? ) and since it was a gift, Mom couldn't say anything - or so I thought. My first attempt turned into clown face (more is more :lol: ) and she responded: "You look like a cheap whore - go wash that crap off your face!" Some comments seem to stick. That whole foo-foo grooming thing is foreign to me. My honey loves me just the way I am and that's all that matters.

But how do we all feel about metro-sexual men, who are no strangers to the world of pampering (waxing, mani/pedi, creams, lotions, etc.)??? I think - whatever floats your boat. If it makes you happy and look/feel better, why not.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

HEhehehe! I have actually met some of those types of men....and actually I like having something in common with a man in that way! LOL
My DH is a manly man that works on cars and only wants lotion put on his feet? :lol:

My mom was not a girly girl either...she may put on mascara.... once in awhile..hated perfeumes... but she was at the end of the hippy stage when they didn't wear bras ( or maybe it was just her :shock: ) but i have to say some things previal...lol
I was a girly girl from the time I was born and she couldn't keep me from barbie...tinkerbell make-up ...( do you remember that nail polish that just peeled off?) and perfume....I have to say it was meant to be...this relationship I have with them ( sickness :shock: ) ..however it is not so bad....I will leave the house without makeup sometimes...and fixing my hair is sometimes just a pony tail..but I do enjoy the pampering of make-up and smelly goods. I could give it up at gun point if i had to..LOL :roll:
Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 AM

I like my men to be manly --no metro's for me! I like for men to have beards, callouses, faded jeans, the ability to fix anything, a good paying job, etc.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM

LOL I had to wipe my eyes to type! :lol: I was married in '76. Wish I had received this....Oh, My sides hurt from laughing!

This sounds a lot like Stepford Wives.......
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Originally Posted by k3n
Plus - my Granny always said 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'! :mrgreen:
My Mamaw always said "You may catch a man with face powder, but you keep a man with baking powder". :)
why not keep a man because you're interesting?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Izy
So funny, but sad to think that some poor women probably lived like that
...and then there were SUFFRAGETTES!
i like suffragettes. they burned their bras :shock:
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Izy
So funny, but sad to think that some poor women probably lived like that
...and then there were SUFFRAGETTES!
i like suffragettes. they burned their bras :shock:
I hope they took them off first! :shock: :lol:

Seriously though, those women were heroes; the stuff they went through to get us the vote. It wasn't only bra burning and chaining themselves to railings, they suffered some pretty serious abuse for the cause.

I do think, though that the feminist movement led by Germaine Greer (still love her though!) et al, shot us all in the foot a little; it kind of made women think they HAD to do all the stuff that men did (of course we can!). But it seems to me that now we are expected to do do all that men do, AND all the women stuff too. I think more emphasis should be placed on giving value to the so-called 'womanly' pursuits.

In the UK nowadays, a woman who choses to stay home and look after her kids is looked down on by some, as if because she doesn't have a 'real' job, she is somehow letting the side down. I've heard women say, when asked what they do 'oh, I'm ONLY a housewife'. And I've known career women who have felt under pressure to have kids - either from themselves or others around them - then the baby is stuck in day care from 6 weeks old, 5 days a week because Mum is expected to go back to her career.I think it's a shame. We should all have choices, men and women, regardless of gender, and not be judged for those choices, based on other ppl's opinions of what we SHOULD be doing.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now! :D