Acceptable or tacky?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
yeah, kinda tacky, but enjoy the book anyway. She's not a close friend and... don't let it get you down. Just know this isn't how you gift or want to be gifted. Takes all kinds--
I agree!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have started reading the book and when I done I'll give it back to her and say I'm finished reading the book, you may know someone that didn't get a chance to read it before you gave it to me. Yeah, I'm that type of person! LOL
I LOVE your answer!!!! Yes, I believe it's tacky, too. Just don't put her on your "best friend" list!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I must be out of it, I don't really get the whole Secret Santa/gift exchange thing. Why are you giving and getting gifts from people who mean very little to you? Just to get more "stuff"?
Gift giving to me is when you see something you know someone else will love and there is not a good chance they will see it or buy it for themselves. So you get it and give it to them, does not have to be a special occasion.

This whole, "I HAVE to get my aunt a present cuz it's Christmas", when you don't know what she wants, or are pretty sure she will re-gift what you give her -- I just have dropped out of that whole scene.

Now I REALLY like the idea of adopting a needy family and getting gifts for them - what fun that would be!! and you can be sure the gifts would REALLY be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Yep, I would say that's tacky
Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RonieM
Tacky, tacky, tacky!! It is truly amazing what some people see as acceptable. Try to enjoy the book anyway.
do SO agree.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Sorry......it was tacky!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A group I belong to had it's Christmas party yesterday. We have Secret Santa. This year a lady I don't know that well was my Secret Santa. My gift was a hardback book of a best seller. I noticed the jacket cover looked like it had been handled a lot. Like it had been the first one on the shelf that everyone picked up and thumbed through. When she asked me if I liked the book I said yes, I have been wanting to read the book. She said it was very good. She said she bought it for me and then decided to read it and then her DH read it and then her son. I have never read the actual book I bought for a gift before and never thought about doing so much less letting it be passed around before giving. Is this common? I head her tell another person her son watched the DVDs she bought for gifts and she wished he would hurry up and finish so she could get them wrapped. I think this is tacky. DH said it didn't harm the book to be read first. No but to me it wasn't a gift, it was more like
'you want this book, I'm finished with it.'
TACKY ! I dated this guy a few years back....I am divorced and met him at a singles church gathering......we dated a few times and it got close to Christmas and he was going somewhere up North (as we are in GA) to visit his son's fiancee and her family and he was going to take her Dad a book as a gift...so he bought a new "best" seller and read it, then he loaned it to a couple of folks and offered it to me........I told him I thought that was tacky and he just didn't understand ! This guy was a work of art anyway and it didn't really surprise, needless to say that relationship didn't go anywhere !!!

I still say TACKY, read the book then donate it somewhere or put in yard sale !
Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by cassie69emt
ok I have to jump in here and say maybe the lady and her family do not have a lot of money to spend on things like these.It does sound like it is tacky but no one knows their circumstances. Remember for many times are hitting them hard and they do not know how to handle it or their money at this present time.So please do not judge to harshly.
Lack of money has nothing to do with being tacky. You can be poor and still have class.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

agree, it sounds like they bought a NEW book and then took turns reading it before gifting it. The nice thing to do would be to give it new, and maybe say, I hope you will let me borrow it when you are done, I have been wanting to read it. If you are on a book-borrowing basis with that person anyway.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM

I agree. Tacky. This year we did the dirty Santa thing with one of the groups we belong to. Limit was 15 dollar gift. We spent 20 on one and 15 on the other. We got something that was obviously regifted a couple of times. There were gifts there could not have possibly been worth 15 dollars.
If people can't afford to play, then they shouldn't. We had others there who didn't play. We did not play last year. These are grownups, not children.