Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Account Fraud....Be Careful >
  • Account Fraud....Be Careful

• Account Fraud....Be Careful

Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Here is an idea for those that want to do on line shopping. Open a seperate checking account and use that strictly for your on line banking transactions. I do this and have a seperate debit card just for that accont. When we went on vacation last year we put money in that account and used the debit card associated with it. That way it could only be used on that account, if by chance we lost it they would not be able to get to our main account, plus it kept us in check of what we were spending. Just a thought.
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Everyone should buy one of these; rfid blocking sleeves or wallets. I bought one for my husband and one for me. Kids are getting them for Christmas.

Here's a link to them at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...s&sprefix=rfid

LoriAnn
    Old 10-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Reading all the problems that we all have had, I wonder what is really safe. The gas stations require you to use the prepay method. That means credit cards or debit cards. My husband goes home each year and has seen the change of no cash because of the prepay method. I shop online for fabric and have to use credit card. I get mail all the time to go paperless on my bills. No way. I make about 7 checks a month from one account, with maybe extras to vet. for dogs, insurance and house and car taxes. My husband uses his account only for groceries. Most time forgets and has to use credit card. Bad husband. Only problem in this house is my husbands e-bay buying. But goes through paypal. Good husband. I recieve notices to contact for new paypal info. I have no paypal account. This world is going to the thieves.
    Old 10-09-2011, 04:43 PM

This happened to my daughter last week with her greendot card and she only made one purchase online with it, everything else was local. We must be diligent with our financial institutions - they make enough money off us to do their job right!
    Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
    Banned

and to think we used to be afraid of losing our checkbooks...thinking it is time to bank at "booby national" (my bra) again...and toss all the electronic stuff!
    Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM

I have been getting e-mails from Wells Fargo to check on my account that someone is trying to use it an I need to check all my info. I DONT HAVE A ACCOUNT WITH WELLS FARGO. I called them and they said it was a fraud to send it to spam. They also said it happens a lot with them becouse they are one of the top lenders. Make sure its from Wells Fargo before you answer any thing in e-mail.
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM

I have a seperate account that I use for online purchases. I only keep about 50$ in it so if someone gets my info they can't clean me out.
    Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM
    Dee

I keep a close check on our acct's and never do business on line. Did a couple yrs. ago and took 6 months to clear all up. Never again.
    Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 PM

I love pay pal.
    Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I had almost exactly the same thing happen a couple of months ago. Fortunately I check my balance every night and noticed a $1.99 charge and a $65.00 charge for of all things, the South Beach diet. The $1.99 was to start the Disney movie club. Well, my bank helped me with both issues and I cancelled the account and had to change my direct deposit. Now I almost always use Paypal for online charges but had bought a few things from what were supposed to be secure sites so feel that is how my card number was obtained. I am fortunate to have caught it in time and will never pay via anything except Paypal online. I am also back to writing checks instead of doing online banking - just in case!
    Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 PM

I have a prepaid credit card that I use for online. It is only good for $250.00. I got it thru my credit union. If it is ever hacked I don't have to worry that much. It isn't connected to my regular credit card or debt card.