Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • An act of kindness that touches my heart >
  • An act of kindness that touches my heart

• An act of kindness that touches my heart

Old 09-09-2011, 05:43 AM

Joy comes in so many ways--today it is the hat plus everyone prayers. You will make it through this journey with the help of God, Doctors and friends. The hat becomes you and what a wonderful friend, Maggie.
    Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Wishing you well and praying for your full recovery. I am a 20+ year survivor...keep a positive mind and feel our love around you and your family. Love the hat from Maggie..it is very becoming!
    Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 AM

Love the hat! Best wishes on your treatment.
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

You look terrific in your hat! We shaved my head, too... but into a mohawk first, and took photos! Gotta find a way to laugh. And I did love those two-minute showers... no shampooing, no shaving! Hang in there, it gets easier. Especially when you have such angels to send you hats. :D

Big Hugs~
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 AM
    Power Poster

Aaaahh that is so sweet of her. You look great with your little hat. Prayers said as you are fighting cancer.

))))Quilty Hugs(((((
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 AM

What a thoughtful gift. Hope all goes well while you are going through this difficult time. Love the pic!
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Beautiful you and your little hat too!
    Lisa
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks you everyone for the kind words but I am a survivor and know what she is going through and how much I appreciated all the wonderful support I recieved.
    Right now my DH is under watch for his cancer but they don't recommend treating it until it gets to a certain stage as there is no cure for the two kinds he has but they are very slow growing.
    I started this hat pattern by making my two great great daughters these hats. We go to The Cancer Centers of America in Tulsa, OK and I always make fleece throws to take to give to paitents who are staying there recieving treatment. They have some free donated turbins there but after seeing what they had last time decided that this hat pattern would be great and help cheer someone up. I have made it in three sizes but as pattern dose run small I used the large, x large and xx large pattern sizes. It is a great way to use up our scraps and fat quarters as as you can see it doesn't have to be made in one fabric and the lining is different to. The hat pattern I used is Izzy & Ivy Designs pattern called Jack and Jill. I bought it at my local quilt shop but they do have a web site. The pattern has sizes from Teeny Tiny to xx large so you get all sizes. I also made head bands that are extra wide from double knit cotton ribbing to wear under any hat. They help hide your hair line.
    Sewers and quilter are such great people and if you will check at your local hospitals with their onicology dept they accept donations of hat's, turbins and throws. When I was going through treatment I found it ment so much to think that strangers cared and did such kind things so I challange you to make some hats,tubins or throws and donate to your cancer treatment dept at your hospital. There was a neat shoulder wrap in the McCallsQuilting March April 2011 issue it has pockets and I changed it to use fleece and make a very quick and warm one. The one shown is made with quilt blocks and would be great way to use practice blocks.
    Nancy's Notion's web site has a free download turbin pattern and Kwik Sew #3481 has a great pattern with three hats and a banded hear scarf. Nancy's Notions used to carry that pattern but not sure if still dose.
    Loralie had the one fabric called on the Mend with the ladies on it. It is no longer made but she has another that is almost the same but different shades of color. If any one wants to know a few tips on the hat pattern I changed from the directions to make it easier to make or how to make the head bands let me know.
    Here are my latest bunch of hats with head bands pinned inside that will go with us to Tulsa later this month. I wish I could say that there are less women needing them but their aren't. Also a sweatjacket I made for a friend and a tote. The totes are great to take to treatment, for magazine, bottle of water etc. They don't have to be from fabric like I used they will use and treasure anything you make.

Hats
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]253755[/ATTACH]

Tote
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]253756[/ATTACH]

Jacket
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]253757[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-253749.jpe   attachment-253750.jpe   attachment-253751.jpe  
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Prayers coming your way! :-D
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Hugsssssss and lots of them.
    J J