Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Advice to a first-time cat owner >
  • Advice to a first-time cat owner

• Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM

Sorry for the double post, my computer is being more picky than my cats today. LOL.
    Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Good for you! Some lucky kitty is going to have a great Mommy! Had both dogs and cats in my life. No cats right now, just two sweet Boston Terrorists! Enjoy the unconditional love you are about to receive!
    Old 09-10-2011, 12:52 PM

If you choose a cat that still has his front claws, just be prepared for your furniture to get scratched up. Also, when they want to snuggle and get really comfortable on you, they often will "knead" on you, which can really hurt. A cat without claws will do the same exact things, but with no damage. Of course, it the cat is going outside, he really should have claws.

I can't wait to see what you decide! Good luck on your decision.
    Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Best wishes! You and new kitty will have a great time. Mine always loved fabric and had to be right in the middle of anything I was doing.
    Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Otis has never messed with the thread in my machine, but I cover mine at night, if I leave a spool or bobbin out it is fair game. my pins and needles are to. When I leave the room for any reason I put all pincushion, spool, bobbins, rippers, anything she can pick up into a drawer by my machine. while I am working that drawer is open, I(maybe the cat) have taught my self to use out of that drawer and just drop it back in when I am done.When I shut everything down for the night all projects are covered with a large sheet any loose strings swept up. When the lights go out she knows I won't be back in and usually follows me out but sometimes she will disapear and I'll find her laying right in the middle of whatever I was working on. usually grooming herself, She is part Siamese but what ever else she is sheds a lot and has very course hair. Be that as it may, you will love having a cat, if your new fur baby knows what they are doing the training period won't be long and you will soon settle into there way of doing things. LOL Take your time at the shelter maybe make 2 or 3 trips to be sure the right one pickes you.Good luck and have fun!
    Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 PM

my grandsons went to a cat adoption day at the park, and were looking. then 'the cat' chose them. stuck her paw right out and grabbed a hold of one of the boys. i think the advice about going, and letting the cat chose you is the best. short haired and not a kitten.
    Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM

You sound very well prepared. The only thing that I might suggest that you didn't mention was an automatic litter box. You can get one for about $70 now and would be a good investment. My parents have one for their 3 cats and LOVE the convenience of it. You only have to dispose of the waste container and just add litter when needed. No real heavy lifting (large bags of litter - new or used). They are really happy with theirs. I have thought of getting one but my old man would probably not approve. And he knows how to make his opinion known. I can't even change the litter, the only one that he will use is the TidyCat MultiCat Formula. Stubborn old man.

You might do some research in your area about adoption. I would suggest that you be open to the possibility of adopting two. If you look around there are usually loads of middle age (3-7 years old) cats looking for new homes. Usually because their former owners have passed or moved into retirement homes. Sometimes there are pairs available. Just keep your options open. It is not as necessary to have a playmate around for the older cats. No like when they are kittens and REALLY need the company.

And as you look around, a lot of shelters and adoption groups waive the adoption fees for older people adopting middle or older cats. Look into it.
    Old 09-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Don't declaw...my cat never has scratch furniture just buy it a scratching post and put catnip on it...they will be fine
    Old 09-10-2011, 01:48 PM

I agree watch the pins, my cat loved them. I do agree with adopting the adults. the adults rarely get adopted and people complain about kittens dying all the time at my shelter. Also I agree let the cat choose you. My old kitty chose me. I went to look at a litter of kittens in college. She came over and sat in my lap. I knew instantly she was mine.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Im not to certain about the automatic litter box I think it depends on the cat I bought one for my cat and she was afraid of it she refused to use it after the first time she was by it when it started to clean the box she was terrified of the noise let me tell you that was a waste of alot of money!
    I got my 2 cats that I have right now from the shelter and they both picked me when I went into the room with all the cages they where the only ones that came immediately over to me rubbing on the bars wanting to be loved there was no way I could leave them behind both where already fixed and one was even declawed they are 5 and 3 and such a comfort to me