Ahhhh!!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
Will be having carpal tunnel surgery beginning of June. I won't be able to quilt or knit for awhile...What will I do to keep myself busy????
I had it done on both wrists one week apart, you will be glad you did. You should be able to sew in a week or so.
Best news I've heard to date. THANKS!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 AM

I wish I could have it, the docs say mine is not bad enough for surgery, just bad enough to make me wear splints at night, which is forcing my arms into weird positions and bothering the rest of my arm.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I wish I could have it, the docs say mine is not bad enough for surgery, just bad enough to make me wear splints at night, which is forcing my arms into weird positions and bothering the rest of my arm.
Oh, yes, that's how mine started. Then I started to drop things inexpectedly, wrist locked, shooting pain, couldn't make the bed in the morning or pull on pants without difficulty, and trying to put on my bra was painful, difficult driving without splints, couldn't ride my bike because of the angle of the handles, woke up at night with discomfort even with the splints, then the discomfort just wouldn't go away no matter what I did. Ouch! I'll be glad to have it done.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 AM

I was knitting the day after my surgery. You will have less strength but will probably still be able to sew at teh machine. No pain at all and most of all I felt like I had my life back, best decision I ever made.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
My doctor said it would be paid for after splinting had failed for a minimum of three months. I had splinted in bed at night for years with no success.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Looks like between now and then you might be wise to make your own kits ... precut your fabric, pattern, thread etc. all ready to go.

Sitting and sewing will probably be one of the first things you will be able to manage in short spurts.

As someone mentioned, start practicing using your other hand more and not relying on the one that will be recovering.

Good Luck with on your surgery!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 AM

Wishing you the best on your surgery... wht to do while recovering.... hunt and peck with your other hand...lol It is hard to be away from this board.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
Will be having carpal tunnel surgery beginning of June. I won't be able to quilt or knit for awhile...What will I do to keep myself busy????
My mother had carpal tunnel surgery in her 70's and went on to quilt until just a short time ago and she's 95. Look forward to when you can sew again, not how long it will take or what to do in the process. Me,I would do just what I said to do but then I would hit every darn fabric shop and find and buy some really special fabric to mark the coming out of Catherine Marie. Edie
Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 AM

My doctor did my carpel tunnel through the palm of the hand - a less-than-1-inch incision, and I went home with a band-aid on my hand.....was crocheting that evening. My suggestion - find a doctor that will do it that way - I'm a church organist, and had the surgery on a Monday - was back at the organ the next Sunday! I'd NEVER have it done the old way!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Wishing you a quick recovery, and do as so many have said here - cut now - sew later - prepare for the future - and the in between, can be used in watching video of tutorials and reading quilting magazines, etc... or a very good intriguing book!