Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions >
  • for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions

• for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions

Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM

I carry a (here we go again) a bow tucks bag...and I leave it in the car if I am shopping. I have this tiny little bag on a shoulder strap for a wallet..I keep the strap folded in the glove compartment and put it on the wallet to go to the store. In this little wallet/shoulder purse/wallet, I have a credit card, cash and my cell phone. That is all I need. I am not a purse lady. This little purse works wonderful when you are fabric shopping. You don't have to wrestle with it while picking up the bolts of fabric..it fits diagonally across your body and stays put. My DH and I owned a flower shop/gift shop and we would go to the gift show in Atlanta once a year to buy for the store...This little purse was wonderful. I could look at all the merchandise without putting a purse down on the floor.
    Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm a mom with young kids so most of what is in my purse at any given time is for them or DH! I have my phone, powder and wallet in there for me. My wallet has a wrist strap becasue I don't carry a purse to work, I just put my wallet in my work tote. I have a canvas tote that fits toys when we go out of town with the kids. The rule is that both of their toys have to fit in and it has to zip. No more! It's gotten better as they've gotten a little older. Their toys are shrinking. It seems to be guaranteed that if I don't have a purse, I wish I did!
    Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 AM

I carry a medium size purse that I bought in Key West several years ago. It's wearing out and I need a new one, but just can't find one that has just the right number and size pockets! Everything has a place and there is place for everything, it has lots of pockets and compartments. And then there's the totes... now those I use constantly for my sewing group, guild meetings, a day of sewing at a friend's, potlucks, traveling, etc. I put my sewing project in them, a spare pair of glasses, a can of soda, a small pack of kleenex, the latest quilt magazine, or a book to read in the car, and anything I need to bring to give someone or show someone, etc. Couldn't live without my totes!! Right now, my latest tote has a copy of an old picture of our house from a friend on the historical society that was taken in 1887 when it was the Sheriff's residence in the front and the jail in the back! Just so I can show it to friends and family everywhere I go!!
    Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Well, I love purses and tote bags and, as my DH would tell you, I have a zillion of each! I have sturdy canvas tote bags that I carry to school...and I change the bag frequently according to time of year and mood I am in. Ditto with my collection of purses. Then, I have a wallet that has room for my cell phone and has a wrist strap. (It is a Vera Bradley thing.) I take it when I am just running in to the store very quickly. If I am going to be gone all day...in and out of restaurants, etc. I carry a purse that I can have my cosmetic bag, camera, extra glasses, etc. If I am going shopping, to a craft show, fair etc, I carry a very small bag with long strap that crosses my body. No matter which I carry when I am out...I prefer one that closes.
    Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Also, no matter what bag I carry I try not to be 'cluttery' with it. I have too many times watched my step-mom have to practically empty her very 'heavy' purse to find her keys/something which always seems to make its way to the bottom. LOL She has about everything except the kitchen sink in there. I have seen directions for purse organizers and I think I will make her one for Mother's Day! It would probably make my dad happy!
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:52 AM

I TRY to stay away from large purses. Subconsciously I always try to fill the space up----------ends up being gum wrappers, receipts. advertisements, etc...........now, the smaller - the better!
    Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 AM

I use a large bag for work to hold all my paperwork. Everything that I need is in the including wallet etc. I do home visits and found that I was leaving my small purse. Whenever I do anywhere that is not work it is a very small purse.
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 AM

I haven't carried a purse for over 10 years. I wear a "purse backpack". It distributes the weight and then my shoulders and back don't hurt. I never have much in it but the additional space is great when you go to a theme park or the like. I like the smaller ones but they also are hard to find.
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 AM

I carry a small purse that has room for a pill bottle, tape measure, note pad, pen, and eyeglass case in the main portion; cell phone in the small pocket on outside end of purse; cash, credit card, driver's license, keys in their special pockets in the side zipper pocket. I really like a purse that has a place for everything, but not so many places that I have to spend "hours" trying to find something.
    Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM

I usually carry a medium sized purse. I don't carry my checkbook anymore but always have to carry my contact stuff/glasses, hand lotion, pain reliever, toothpicks, small notebook and then there is my husband's stuff, wallet, sunglasses, keys, smokes and if we are going to the Dr, a book or a small project to keep me busy while we wait.