Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions >
  • for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions

• for all you bag & tote makers - a couple questions

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM

I make purses and tote bags. First of all, the really small purses are barely big enough to carry a tampon, so why bother?!!? Most of my purses are medium size- I need my wallet, camera, small notepad, and lipstick. I do carry larger separate totes for my crochet projects, and I have different sizes for the specific projects. I do have friends who's purses weigh a ton, and they do have back problems.
    Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 PM

I also have to add- we went to a bluegrass benefit in Texas yesterday. I put my wallet in my crochet bag, just in case I found something I had to buy, which I didn't. When we left, I placed my crochet bag in the trunk, but did remember to put my wallet back in my purse which goes in the backseat. The Texas Hwy Patrol trooper (which stopped me for speeding) was not pleased that I got out of the car to get my purse out of the backseat at 10:30 at night on a dark stretch of Texas highway. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had told him that my license was in the trunk!! I might not be here today to tell you this story!! LOL
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:13 PM

I carry a big purse- but just recently. I bought it so when I traveled to DD's I could carry stuff on the airplane. Got so many compliments on it I keep carrying it. My son calls it the "abyss" since everything goes to the bottom.

I carry the mail for the office (some comes to the house), business cards and flyers (always selling myself and my business) and I finally have a purse that doesn't break my sunglasses.

Tried to carry a cutesy small purse- ended up putting the big purse in the car with all the necessities and trying to cram my wallet in the little one. Enough for vanity- went back to the big one.

I even carry my digital camera with me. Plus side- people know I carry certain items and ask me because they know I have it.
    Old 04-25-2010, 04:56 PM

I take a train to work every day and used to carry a medium-sized purse and a bag for my lunch and book/knitting. I found that all this stuff was really hurting my shoulders and aggravating my elbow tendonitis. I switched to a simple backpack (yes, like kids wear to school) and have never looked back. It has a smaller pocket on the outside, so I made a pretty quilt block and sewed it onto it (I am a quilter, after all!).

This way I can carry my book(s), papers, lunch, knitting (if I am working on something small), and a small purse in that outside pocket. I just grab it when I want to run into a store on the way home. And if I do any shopping before going home -- it all goes into the bag, too.

Sure, it's not very glamorous, but I can walk fast and my shoulders/elbows don't hurt any more!

I really like some of the pretty purses folks are making these days, but my question is -- say you make one to match a certain outfit. What do you do when it clashes with the rest of your clothes?? My 'purse in a pocket' is just plain black and goes with everything. I can't imagine having a jillion different purses (and transferring their contents again and again) just to have something "go with" something else...

But then, I'm a grown woman who wears a backpack every day! I shouldn't talk!
    :lol:
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:01 PM

I make and sell my totes all the time. The ones I am making right now are my one of a kind flip flop tote bags. They measure approximately 16" x 18". I have 6 pockets along the lining. When I promote these bags I mention they are great for the summer when going to the beach or for shopping. They are the perfect size to carry along your suntan lotion, sunglasses, cell phone (as they can all fit into their own individual pockets and your phone and glasses won't get broke at the bottom of the bag), a book, your iPod, and a towel. They also are great when spending a day shopping.

They sell quite well and I get repeat customers as they like the size and weight of my bags. Not to mention they are not too big or too small so they don't get weighed down too much.

These bags are also a good size if you are going for a little day trip or drive along the coast line or something. You can carry your wallet, maps, a little light snack and anything else you wish!

Ohh and did I mention they are a great size bag for going to your local quilt shop!! :)
    Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM
    Banned

I made my first purse not long ago and while on this trip one cashier at a restaurant asked me where I had bought it. I told her I had made it. She said she 'hated' me! I then showed her I had also made the cell phone carrier, check book cover, eye glass case that was inside the purse. She said she "really hated me" and asked if I made them and sold them. I told her not the purse, plus the fabric mine was made with was no longer available.
    Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    I carry a medium to large size purse, but it holds all of my stuff...and my hubby's!!
    I used to carry a large purse and it also held 'car stuff' for my hubby. Things he wanted along to take to a car parts store and get a replacement or whatever. I finally stopped that as my purse was getting heavier and heavier with car stuff. Now I carry a purse I made myself and it's between small and medium and only the bare needs. Hubby wants his car stuff he can carry a plastic bag.
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Gotta have something to put your 38 in!! :roll:
    Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    Gotta have something to put your 38 in!! :roll:
    LOL! I'd need a long purse for my rifle. My sister carries a little purse and she does keep her little gun in it. My other sister also carries a small gun especially since she had two very scary events when she used to deliver newspapers in the wee hours of the morning. She is lucky she didn't end up in some land fill, that scary.
    Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM

im needing to buy a rotary cutter and all the sizes im comming across r 45mm is this a good one to buy or not...im not even sure what to buy...could need some advice from anyone ...thanks