American Food

Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Well...isn't fry sauce made with mayo and ketchup?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM

On our first trip to the UK, we tried stopping at a fast food place on the highway. Yuk! It was nothing like American fast food. Then we discovered pub meals. Wonderful! We tried all the English foods on the menus and loved them. Maybe the pint had something to do with it:-)
Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM

P.S. I'm from western Michigan and our area grows asparagus, cherries, apples, blueberries, and corn. It's a yummy area in which to live!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

WOW, they have chocolate gravy????? I havent ever heard of that, but I LOVE anything with chocolate. I bet it would be wonderful on Waffels and Pancakes!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
twinkies with chocolate gravy, anyone? :lol:
I assume it's like a thickened Hershey's chocolate sauce, so why not? Imagine a lovely china plate with a Twinkie or two on it, with the chocolate gravy either drizzled over the Twinkies like they do with gourmet desserts or in a puddle on them... I'd need a knife and fork - and a spoon to scoop up the leftover chocolate...
Old 08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I am imagineing it all right, and its making me want togo get a box of Twinkies. I havent eaten them in YEARS!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 PM

By now you've read descriptions and seen pictures of Twinkies. In case you didn't realize it, they are a product of the Hostess company, which makes snack-sized cakes and pies.

Personally, I always preferred Hostess cupcakes, Suzy Q's or HoHos to their Twinkies, but it's Twinkies people mention in the catchphrase about "giving up the Twinkies" (going on a diet).

Growing up in the Midwest, Hostess was THE reigning brand for snack cakes. Others were considered "off-brands" and not as good. Moved to Philadelphia, where Tastykakes were the home brand to find Hostess products dismissed. "They don't have anything like butterscotch krimpets, do they?"

Philadelphia is a city that loves its pretzels. They sell hot, soft salted pretzels from carts on the street, often with mustard, and it's considered perfectly fine to have a pretzel for breakfast.

You know the expression "as American as apple pie?" Apple pie is a classic, but I don't know that it's really all that popular any more. I don't see it in restaurants the way you see other desserts.

The most American food for me is the cheeseburger (with or without the fries and cole slaw).
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM

chocolate gravy - oh my that brings back memories. That was a special treat for us growing up. I looked up the recipe - it is cocoa powder , sugar, flour, milk - make like any other gravy. It is wonderful on biscuits. Yum...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
By now you've read descriptions and seen pictures of Twinkies. In case you didn't realize it, they are a product of the Hostess company, which makes snack-sized cakes and pies.

Personally, I always preferred Hostess cupcakes, Suzy Q's or HoHos to their Twinkies, but it's Twinkies people mention in the catchphrase about "giving up the Twinkies" (going on a diet).

Growing up in the Midwest, Hostess was THE reigning brand for snack cakes. Others were considered "off-brands" and not as good. Moved to Philadelphia, where Tastykakes were the home brand to find Hostess products dismissed. "They don't have anything like butterscotch krimpets, do they?"

Philadelphia is a city that loves its pretzels. They sell hot, soft salted pretzels from carts on the street, often with mustard, and it's considered perfectly fine to have a pretzel for breakfast.

You know the expression "as American as apple pie?" Apple pie is a classic, but I don't know that it's really all that popular any more. I don't see it in restaurants the way you see other desserts.

The most American food for me is the cheeseburger (with or without the fries and cole slaw).
You just reminded me about St. Louis', "Gus the Pretzel Guy" that sells hot pretzels on busy street corners & Krispy Kreme Donuts--yes they do have butterscotch Krimpets only they call them something else. And that apple pie you mentioned is also available at every other gas station in the midwest by the same maker as the Twinkie and there are several off brands. Oh, and the McDonald's all have apple pies around here. Cherry, too in the summer--pumpkin in the fall.

I agree about the most American food is a big, thick, grilled burger at least here in the midwest.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 AM

I dont really like the sound of chocolate gravy :)

Some of the other foods you have all mentioned sound yummy though!