Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >
  • An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

• An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 AM

We go to Bradenton Beach on the west coast. Hopefully for the winter in a few years. When we bought it, that was over 20 years away, now we're down to 10!
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    Originally Posted by Dingle
    Can someone PLEASE tell me what men are good for? :?
    Squashing bugs. :roll:
    reaching things off high shelves - but that only works if you pick a tall one! :mrgreen:
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    We go to Bradenton Beach on the west coast. Hopefully for the winter in a few years. When we bought it, that was over 20 years away, now we're down to 10!
    peaceandjoy..

I was going to invite you to join the SunBonnet Sues for a Thursday morning visit..but I do think that the West Coast is a bit of a distance to travel.....
    even for a quilting meeting.

Happy Thanksgiving........MaryJane
    Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Aw, thanks! We're home in New York now... Getting ready for snow on Friday (boo, hiss).

Have a great Thanksgiving!
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM

I got a 5 drawer metal file cabinet with a dent in the side where he dropped it on his way in the door. That was the year I started making a list.
    Old 11-25-2009, 06:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    I got a 5 drawer metal file cabinet with a dent in the side where he dropped it on his way in the door. That was the year I started making a list.
    This is no joke, quiltmania,...I have yet to get a brand new appliance in place without it being either scratched or dented. Hubby did manage to put my last refrigerator in without banging it...he tore down the porch rail with it though, and then....AND THEN...once it was in???? a month later, discovered the tongue and groove flooring in the kitchen was coming up, bc the icemaker was leaking where it had not been hooked up correctly!
    oh, the porch railing? Still laying on the porch...and I have fallen bc of a bum knee, and no rail to grab onto! :?
    But, what can I say? I have a very nice car, decent home, the biggest room in the house is my sew-cave and full of toys. So, I guess I'll keep him. :D

OTOH...all the grandchildren...that would be my 3 girls and all their girl cousins, 16 in all...no boys, none. They all mention the little girl purses one grandma would give them, and the Barbies with no bending they got from other grandma. It's kind of a family joke and they were never upset,...but I think it did convince them all, that you lose any good taste you might have had, when you reach a certain age. Wonder what age that would be? :roll:
    Old 11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
    Power Poster

My grandma would give us all garage sale rejects. One year we all get neckwear - I got a scarf with a hole in it, DH and sons got ties that had spots on them. Don't remember what daughter got.

It wasn't that the woman was poor - she wasn't. We would rather have had a card than some of the stuff she passed on. She never wanted us to open the stuff while we were all together.

I asked the cousins - they got "goodies" too.

Oh, one year she gave us $5.00 in a card for all six of us. It was a step up.
    Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 AM

For Christmas my Mother used to give my teen aged sons a package of Fruit of the Loom undershirts, and they didn't wear them. I would return them, get cash and give the boys the dollars. MIL didn't like Christmas at all. She was a long distance phone operator and would go to work on Christmas Day so people could call their families but her family sat home alone. Her gifts were last mintue like $5 wrapped around a hair brush. Whatever we gave her she gave to her daughter and visa versa so after awhile my SIL and I would buy MIL gifts that we wanted, LOL!

Have to say something about DHs who have no clue about gift giving,
    For the most part you can't do the same to them because the idea of pleasing someone with a thoughtful gift is something they will never understand.

Forgot about my sister Louise, who gave the strangest gifts, one son received a sleasy shiny disco shirt years past the disco period. She began the idea of resending Christmas cards she received, only she picked them out of other people's garbage. May in Jersey
    Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM

The tablesaw? Or the drill that was too heavy for me to use? I really liked the dremmel and baby scroll saw. If he needs a new toy I am sure to get it for a birthday or Christmas. I think he may be getting fabric for Christmas this year. :thumbup:
    Does he sew? No. Do I build? Not so much.
    Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
    I don't know if my MIL fits here but she gave me a grave site for a wedding gift.
    Your cracking me up!!!!! :lol: :lol: