Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Another huge price jump---printer ink >
  • Another huge price jump---printer ink

• Another huge price jump---printer ink

Old 10-18-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Another huge price jump---printer ink

We have 2 HP computers with printers in our house. One is wireless and connected to the internet and one is not. I went to Walmart to buy ink cartridges today for the second printer and the price has nearly doubled from the last time I purchased it! (WM is the only store in town that carries printer ink and the closest Office Max is 50 miles away.) The 4 XL cartridges were just short of $175.00!! and will print approximately 1200-1500 copies. (Ordering direct from HP is about 10% cheaper with free shipping, but I needed ink today.) My other printer is on "Instant Ink" and the cost is only $4.99/month for up to 100 pages, and HP automatically sends me ink when I need it at no additional charge. They offer numerous plans depending on monthly usage, all of which are a really good deal. Obviously, instant Ink is much cheaper and more convenient. I have no monetary interest in HP, I just wanted to pass on what I consider to be a good deal in these days of ever-increasing prices.

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 10-18-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    Old 10-18-2022, 12:16 PM

During Covid & even now I find printer cartridges very hard to find. For years now we have been re-filling our cartridges. We went online & found a site that showed us how to refill Brother cartridges, bought a little kit & have been re-filling since then most of the time. If you decide to go to that process, be sure to purchase what the reset tool that goes to your particular printer. If you don't reset the ink cartridge when you re fill it, the printer will not recognize the cartridge.
    Old 10-18-2022, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

I switched to a laser printer and use toner. I can get over 2500 pages per toner cartridge for about $45. If I have to have color prints I go to Office Depot or Staples. I rarely need color as much as I thought I did. There is font that saves ink, a lot of ink. It's called Ecofont It was free when I downloaded it. It still may be.
    Old 10-19-2022, 06:27 AM

Sure glad I stocked up when I did as I also use HP cartridges. Right now I have 2 XL blacks , 1 black and 3 colors. I use more black than colored and will print in black most of the times if I know I'll be shredding the paper afterwards. I also will keep something I've printed if the back is blank. I chop it into 4 equal pieces crosswise and use it for scratch paper as I'm always doodling notes while making quilts. Paper isn't cheap these days either so using the back side for notes and then shredding helps. Once shredded and the basket is full, I take it out to my compost and combine it with garden waste so again making use of the paper.
    Old 10-21-2022, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978
    Sure glad I stocked up when I did as I also use HP cartridges. Right now I have 2 XL blacks , 1 black and 3 colors. I use more black than colored and will print in black most of the times if I know I'll be shredding the paper afterwards. I also will keep something I've printed if the back is blank. I chop it into 4 equal pieces crosswise and use it for scratch paper as I'm always doodling notes while making quilts. Paper isn't cheap these days either so using the back side for notes and then shredding helps. Once shredded and the basket is full, I take it out to my compost and combine it with garden waste so again making use of the paper.
    I make scratch tablets from the clean backside of papers that have been printed. I cut some into quarters, other sheets just in half. Once I get a workable stack of paper (I usually just save the paper until I have enough and then cut them on my paper cutter), I put an inch stack of them together, then thickly coat the one edge with Gorilla Wood Glue, then put a couple of black office binder clips over that edge until the glue dries in a day or two. Then I take off the black binder clips, usually lose the front and back page due to the glue sticking the binder clip to the paper (which I pull off the binder clip). Then I have a tablet where as I use the scratch paper, I can just tear off the sheet like a regular tablet. I usually make 1/2 a dozen or more at a time and by the time I've used them up, I have enough paper set aside again to make more.
    Old 10-21-2022, 12:02 PM

I dread buying printer ink. I have two printers, a laser printer and a color printer. I usually buy for both at the same time, keeping a small stock on hand. But then I buy for both, it is usually about 300.00.
    Old 10-21-2022, 06:06 PM
    Power Poster

I use to save paper that had print on one side or very little print. I don't do that anymore. Never used it and it piled up. I get so many notepads in the mail from different charity groups I have to toss some of those too. I have a desk drawer full of them. Way back when Staples had a ream of copy paper for .99 for a back to school special I bought the limit of three ten times. I am still using from that $30 paper stash. Also bought a case of 50 composition books for .10 each when Fred's Dept store closed down. The grands have never had to buy one. I never pass up a great deal on anything I will use and have to buy more.
    Old 10-22-2022, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I switched to a laser printer and use toner. I can get over 2500 pages per toner cartridge for about $45. If I have to have color prints I go to Office Depot or Staples. I rarely need color as much as I thought I did. There is font that saves ink, a lot of ink. It's called Ecofont It was free when I downloaded it. It still may be.
    Same here, Brother laser printer. I think I have had it for over 8 years, toners are about $12 each.
    Old 10-22-2022, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

Same here, Brother laser printer. I think I have had it for over 8 years, toners are about $12 each.

Today that is almost free printing. LOL You made a wise choice.
    Old 10-22-2022, 08:57 AM

I have been purchasing my ink cartridges from 4inkjets for years. They work very well in my HP printer. Here is the link if you would like more information. https://www.4inkjets.com/