Another name for Grandma?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 PM

when my former daughter in law remarried MY grandson called his step grandmotherr yaya t for terri why not yaya L for lori my grandson calls me nanamo and i love it and husband is big papa i just recently meet yaya t and she is wonderful
Old 04-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Since you have a good relationship with Matt why don't you ask him and his gf what your "name" will be?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway accross the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".

Is there another name besides Nan or Grandma that I could sign the quilt with? Something that everyone can live with?

Incidentally I do have a good relationship with Matt. He calls here and we chat for several minutes before he asks for his dad. I figure that's pretty good for someone I first met when he was 18 years old...
Do they know you have made the baby a quilt and bought all these things? If they do or don't know, you might ask them what they would like the baby to call you and put that name on the quilt label.However that being said, I would definitely be sure to put who made the quilt, first and last name, date, and town where made just like it would be a return address for you, in case they want the child to call you by just your first name or something similar. You could put whatever name they want the baby to call you in parenthesis. That way when the child is older she will know who made her the quilt.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM

I use the name Mama Sani which is an anglicized version of Ma Sani...the Navajo word for grandma.

The Korean word for Grandma is Harmony.

My suggestion is to ask Matt for suggestions. Maybe he prefers Grandma and Granddad or something traditional.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Moonglow
Grammy?
Or granny, both would be friendly, non threatening, and just enough self-deprecation to soothe others fears?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 AM

I'm Grandma and my DH is Grandpa to all of our grandchildren. The greats are very little yet and we don't see them very often so they haven't chosen a name for us yet. When our DSs' stepchildren asked what to call us we told them they could call us by our first name or Grandpa and Grandma. Even the 18 year old chose GMa and GPa. He even wanted to change his last name to ours because he says our son is his real Dad even though he was 18 when they met. What a compliment to our younger son. Our older son adopted his stepson when he asked if our son could be his real Dad. Another compliment and a grand show of trust as he was about ten at the time and his biological father is still alive. Whatever they call you, grandchildren are wonderful. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 01:17 AM

I have one grand daughter that is 28 months and she started calling me Memaw (don't know about the spelling) and husband papaw. I think it is cute

:D
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 AM

I started out as Nana and that evolved into Nani to my 7 wonderful grandkids. Even my almost 17 year old grandson still calls me Nani.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
I have to say.. this hit a spot with me. We have been in this situation before (twice now). My DH father passed on when my DH was 14. So I never knew his real dad. When I joined the family his mom was remarried for 3 years prior to. My DH called his step dad by his first name. When we decided to start our own family. I told my husband I thought it was best our kids call him grandpa. He has since passed on (he was the best step dad a person could ask for). My MIL has remarried again (yes 3rd time) and now my kids call him Coleman and their kids call him gramps Coleman. They save the papa for their actual grandparents.
Now my GF's parents split 9 months after she married. Both her parents have since remarried, so these kids have 3 sets of grandparents, and how they handled it was, they say gram Nancy, gram Sue and Gram Betty. The guys are all called papa Dan, papa Bob and papa Earl. So why can't they call you nana then your first name?
I think it's very important to talk it over with the child's parents.
As a person interested in geneology(spelling?) it was important in my split family that I be "Nana" and the step grands could do what they (and child's family wanted). I told my daughter this.
Her father is Papa-papa and my husband is Papa (first name). I am Nana-Nana and the other grandmothers have other names.
(The double names came about when my husband was called by 2 names they wanted 2 for their natural grandfather and me).
Now, on my husband's side(split family also) they call him Grampa (first name) and their step-grandfather the same. This does bother my husband but he hasn't said anything about it. They see their step-grandfather more often so I often wonder if they are aware that my husband is their natural grandfather.

Sticky all around isn't it?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM

We call my mom "nana" and hubby's mom "nans".