Another Scam Alert

Old 09-19-2018, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan
Hi MaggieLou,

Not much damage here. A few trees fell and a few roads washed out, but not near what was predicted. I have a creek behind my house and my house is the lowest one in the neighborhood. I was very nervous about flooding. The creek overflowed the banks a couple of times, but didn't come near the house.

How was it in Statesville?
No damage. Just a lot of rain. We had some small limbs and branches fall down but nothing major. It's just a pain to pick everything up. We have a small creek (more like a drainage ditch) behind our house but it never overflowed. Even if it had we're on high ground so it wouldn't have been a problem.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM
mim

If you put your curser on the sender's name you will see the address it is from. That's when I not only send it to junk, I send it to spam report. I have windows 10. It may not always work on Apple

Mim
Old 09-19-2018, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

We only have cell phones these days and if I don't know the number I just let it ring. Yesterday the caller was from Australia. Really????
Old 09-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I get emails saying your $1538.99 order was processed. Of course I didn't order anything from any online place for that amount. I hit delete. I am amazed how many will get all in a tizzy and try to find out what's it about. One of my friends went as far as sending them her cc info so it could be checked what was ordered and she was told she could cancel it. She gave them all her card numbers! I don't have much sympathy for her since she handed it over on a platter. She is still in the process of getting that cleared up. Already cost her more the the original fake amount to begin with.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-19-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM

I love the ones that pretend to be from Microsoft, telling me my computer has many “viruses detected”. This one might scare me silly, except I only have “apple products” and they do not get viruses. Lol. When I bought my first computer, I bought a Mac to avoid having to pay extra for security, since I was a real “green horn” with computers, and Apple products are “Kelly-proof”. Still buying Apple twelve years later, and after having to figure out all the issues DH had with his Microsoft type, I will be staying with Apple. I love the convenience of not having to worry about viruses, etc.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 AM

I now answer all phone calls, that have bogus, unknown, crazy phone numbers with: Sheriff's Department, Fraud Division. And 99% of those calls, after a long pause (as I truly believe someone listens for the person to say hello), they hang up. One call the computer began, said to press one to talk to an agent. When 'the agent' answered, I said Sheriff's Dept., Fraud Division. Dead silence, he hung up. Had a friend from church call the other night, she had never called before and her name didn't pop up. So after my spiel, she said Kay is that you. So I gave her the lowdown and she said she was going to remember that. So tired of these scammers.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
I get emails saying your $1538.99 order was processed. Of course I didn't order anything from any online place for that amount. I hit delete. I am amazed how many will get all in a tizzy and try to find out what's it about. One of my friends went as far as sending them her cc info so it could be checked what was ordered and she was told she could cancel it. She gave them all her card numbers! I don't have much sympathy for her since she handed it over on a platter. She is still in the process of getting that cleared up. Already cost her more the the original fake amount to begin with.
I'm always amazed at how gullible some people can be. Too bad for your friend. Never give out your cc information unless you initiated the call from a known number, like on the back of your cc. Not the one in the email and don't click on the link either.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM

I had a call from “someone” regarding my car. They started in by asking if I still owned the car. I asked if I had a recall....they tried to give me their “canned dialogue”. I asked if I had a recall. They continued with their......I asked.....hahaha. She finally told me, “shut up, you are not listening”! Then she hung up on me....hahahaha. That was a fun call!!!!