Another Scam Beware

Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
QM
Power Poster

I have had hundreds of phone calls over the last few years about my "credit card account" I don't have one. Unfortunately, we all need to be alert for a variety of scammers.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM

I have gotten a few emails this week from people with foreign first names and American last names which I sent to spam immediately. Don't even open these.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 AM

The "credit card services" is a big time scam also. I continue to get the calls even while on the Do Not Call List. They hide their number and change the number all the time. I have done everything possible and finally am resolved. The front line people are just trying to get info to transfer you to a "financial advisor". I even tried lying and getting more info but they have it down so it isnt possible without giving out more info.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM

I don't have any problem with "click" hang up on any caller that takes too long to respond to my hello or a voice I'm not familiar with. So much easier than dealing with people trying to sell or scam me. We've had several instances here where people called saying they were grandchildren and in dire trouble. They gave enough personal info (taken from facebook, etc.) to fool the person. The scams were caught by bank personnel and the police were notified. Our paper is good about giving us info on these scams. All this is another reason I stay off facebook, twitter etc. I'm old school and like a card or phone call.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

I never open email from anyone I don't know. It goes straight into the spam folder and then deleted. Same with phone calls. If I don't recognize the caller ID I don't answer. If it is a legit call, the message will tell me. But 99% of the time there is no message.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Living on Social Security makes it impossible to help anyone financially. All our freinds and family know it so don't bother to ask. Shelter, food, or a shoulder to lean on is all we can afford. Ain't it great to be POOR!!!! LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 AM

If anyone calls me, and then starts asking for personal information, I don't care who they are, they get zip. If they really are my bank, credit card company, etc., they have that information, they don't need to ask. If they need it for "verification", then I can hang up, and call them back through their security line. Just ask for a name. Who do I need to talk to? That usually shuts them up. Then if I do call the bank or credit card company, etc., chances are very good they haven't just called me. The people calling you aren't the ones who need verification of who you are. YOU need verification of who is calling you! I know. I had my identify stolen once, and even though the credit card companies covered the bills, it still cost me almost $10,000 in legal fees to get my good credit back, because that was the only way I could get through to the credit reporting agencies and a few other places to change my record.

Oh, and email. Junk, junk, junk. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. And I never forward e-mails without first deleting the list of names in the "from" area, and sending everything "BCC" or blind carbon copy, so no one who receives it knows who else received it as well, or who else sent it. Everyone deserves privacy.

As for Facebook, the directions for hacking into your Facebook account are all over the internet, and a pre-teen can do it. Whatever you post, even in the "private" section, is there for anyone to see. And if you want a big shock, try googling your name. You'll be stunned at how much private information about yourself is either right out there for anyone to find, or right there for people to buy! Private information is a business.

Be Careful!