Ants!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
An environmentally friendly cure for fire ants has been announced by Walter Reeves on his "Georgia Gardener" radio program. Testimonials that it REALLY WORKS are coming in.

Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Besides eliminating the ants, club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately kill other insects. It is not harmful to your pets, soaks into the ground. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds.

Spread the word!

For those not familiar with Walter Reeves, he is from the University of Georgia agriculture department, specializing in home gardening. His television show, 'Gardening in Georgia', is on each Saturday.
Thanks I will give it a try. I have used hot grease, grits. candle wax, anything I could think of. We have fire ants in Texas really bad.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM

If you have a fire ant mound in an empty area, pour boiling water on them. It kills them on contact. I do that when I spot them in my yard.

warning - the hot water will also kill anything you pour it on.

You can also use soapy water.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM

I had a lot of ant hills in my yard last year and was told to use yellow corn meal on the hills. It works, the ants eat it it swells and they die or move on. I had some ants in my wood pile I use for camp fires and I spread the yellow corn meal and they are gone. It isn't harmful to the environment.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM

I am having a problem with little tiny flying ants....not termites......flying ants. From what I've read the little buggars swarm when they are mating.......oh great! I'm about to kill their joy. Tomorrow I am going to get something to get rid of them. I have never seen anything like this......they are swarming around my back patio sliding door, inside of it. Anyone ever had this problem?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Yes, be very sure those are ants. Look for swarm tubes if you see any they aren't ants. You might have a nest inside the walls.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I am having a problem with little tiny flying ants....not termites......flying ants. From what I've read the little buggars swarm when they are mating.......oh great! I'm about to kill their joy. Tomorrow I am going to get something to get rid of them. I have never seen anything like this......they are swarming around my back patio sliding door, inside of it. Anyone ever had this problem?
Yes, usually in the early fall..I use the regular ant spray and stand downhill from the spraying......I just spray away at them until the can is empty and by the next morn, they are GONE...........one wonders where they all come from.....swarms of them........
Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM

My dad (83 years old) swears that Formula 409 gets rid of ants. It usually takes two applications, but it always works for him.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by illinois
We are being overtaken with itty-bitty ants. Can't find where they are coming from,seldom have a trail, but they are having a wonderful reunion at our house. Any suggestions on how to move them out of here? Terro only seems to feed them.
Wipe down with vinegar - any will do - I use white. Its the way my grandma dealt with ants and it works! Vinegar has lots of uses - streak free windows, an all purpose dirt remover and its a great sanitiser so I use it on the kitchen worktops. It's much cheaper than chemicals too!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM

I get them every year and use a product called Amdro. It isn't cheap, but you put it outside the perimeter of your house so no danger to indoor pets like my cat. vIt always works. Once applied they take about three days to go away. I use windex on the counters to kill them until they disappear.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

I used to have ants in my house before we lost it, they don't like pine sol. God bless. Penny