Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker? >
  • Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

• Any difference between an old Crock Pot and new Slow Cooker?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM

I usually just do stew in mine...quick and easy in the morning before work and ready to eat when I get get home in the evening. Package of stew meat, big can of V8 juice, big can or two of stew veggies, extra can of sliced potatoes, pkg of onion soup mix. Set on low and let it cook all day. If I want thick sauce, when I get home I add instant potatoes to desired thickness. This is for the great big oval one (6 qt I think). My family has loved this one forever.
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM

I do a beer roast. Chuck roast, package of lipton onion soup mix, can of beer and a beer can of water. Toward the end I throw in potatoes and carrots. Yummy!!
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM
    Banned

the cheaper the cut of meat the better....Alton Brown says to skip the browning, just toss in some good cheap meat and let it cook..heheheh

I do however have a Cheap crock pot that can actually BOIL....even turned off it still cooks....so I only use that one to make chicken stock and beans!
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM

I have the original Rival crockpot from the 1960s. Still use it. Have two different newer ones. Even on low the newer ones cook at a much higher temperature. I actually prefer the original, but can't cook as large a quantity in it as I can the newer ones. I will be cooking for a small group at church tomorrow night so will use the newer, bigger slow cooker. Things do tend to stick more in it due to the higher temperature, but can use the liners to eliminate the messy cleanup. If your cut of meat doesn't have much fat, add water and a gravy mix. Delicious!!
    Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    I don't think they've really changed that much. I have an old one and a newer oval shaped one that has a removable pot which is so nice when cleaning.
    I have the same problem with meat in both cookers. I don't know if I pick up the wrong cut of meat or what but it's always chewy and tasteless.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    I remember back east, many years ago, we would start the potatoes, onions and carrots cooking, and THEN add the meat. At that time the beef was raised on a farm on grass, so it was very tender.
    Now I have to tenderize beef roasts in vinegar or Kombucha for hours, then it will cook up nicely.
    Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
    Power Poster

I would not want to use plastic in a slow cooker because there is no way to know how many chemicals will leak from the plastic into the food. Heat definitely helps that process. This is why it is better to microwave in glass rather than plastic.
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by emmy
    sailablazin: what brand/kind, size roasters do you have? I like the idea of using a better grade of meat without turning on the oven. Thanks.
    I have a 6 qt Nesco (from QVC) and an 8 qt Rival roaster oven. Love them both. DH has a ton of food allergies, so often will make a 8 qt roaster of soup, divide it, and for the last 30 minutes, put rice in his soup and the remaining soup gets homemade noodles for the kids and me.
    I can cook a substantial pork loin, pick up one child from school, take to TaeKwonDo, pick up second child from swim practice and get home and have dinner ready when I walk in the door. I would never leave my oven on while I was picking up and dropping off.
    One Christmas my wall oven died and the new oven could not be installed in time...so dinner was made in 3 roasters and 2 crock pots for a houseful of people. It worked.
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM
    Google Goddess

yes, thanks for the recipe (I use the onion soup mix all the time in my crock pot)

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Originally Posted by sandyquilts
    I've never had any luck either. A friend said I should try low heat and longer time like 8-10hrs. I'm going to give it a go as soon as our kitchen remodel is done (soon I hope).
    Why not try it during your remodel? Just throw the chuck roast in the crock/slow cooker along with some onion soup mix and some small potatoes and tiny carrots.

Put it on the in early morning (7am) and it'll be ready to go for dinner (5-6pm). For BETTER results - make it overnight and refrigerate during day. Heat for dinner. These types of stews taste better the next day.

If you're doing pork - try pork butt - boned or boneless - it's fattier than a pork loin roast.
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 PM

This is what my reply would be. Chuch roast is a really good one for the slow cooker. I also brown the meat in a hot skillet and then add it into a warmed cooker. I also read that you should place the veggies on the bottom and the meat on top. I have not done this in the slow cooker but several recipes call for this process.

Originally Posted by Bluelady
    Pick a fatter meat, such as chuck roast and simmer on low for at least eight hours, preferably more.
    If you pick a more expensive roast, such as pork loin, or a beef roast with less fat, the meat will turn out dryer.
    So the cheap fatty roasts are the ticket!
    Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Chicken breast and lean pork often get stringy and a little dry. If you cook them you need to add some kind of fat.

I buy the boneless skinless thighs and use those and they cook up perfect. I put them in right out of the freezer, on top of some frozen veggie, dust the top with garlic powder, a shake of Worcestershire sauce (adds a tang and helps the meat look more appetizingly brown) then add a can of low sodium cream of something soup. mixed with 1/2 can of water. Put the pot on low for 8-9 hours and its done, serve over rice or egg noodles.

I also buy cheap chops with some fat on them and lay them on top of a big onion sliced thick and some water, then cover with BBQ sauce and cook on low 8 hours. They steam up super tender. Micro some corn and have them with a sald. Easy peasy.