Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Any Doberman owners out there? >
  • Any Doberman owners out there?

• Any Doberman owners out there?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JEM65
    Well I am going to take my time to find the right pup for me, the right breeder, the right parents, great genetic/health testing etc. I know I want a female and pretty sure I've decided on black & tan over the red. I really can't wait to get a puppy though!
    Can't wait to see pictures!! We have had black and tan and cinnamon dobies. I prefer the black and tan. How do you feel about docking the tails and ears? We did on the first one we had. But after that unless the dog came that way we didn't have it done. It seems cruel to me. They are pretty dogs with or without the docking.
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
    Power Poster

Rhonda, my brother's dog (not a Dobie, a mutt) has a big knot on the top of his head and bro's gf said it's a sign of intelligence too LOL
    She's Native American and my bro thought it was a Native Amer bit of folklore or something :D
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Rhonda, my brother's dog (not a Dobie, a mutt) has a big knot on the top of his head and bro's gf said it's a sign of intelligence too LOL
    She's Native American and my bro thought it was a Native Amer bit of folklore or something :D
    It seems to be true but there is usually someone who will argue the point. Every dobie we had was a very easily trained dog. They are usually eager to learn.

Tho I say that about Pomeranians too and I had one pup that would flop on the floor like a mop the second you put a leash on her! Then again maybe she wasn't so dumb. She got her way when I quit trying to train her! LOL You could drag her to kingdom come and she would not give in. But she was so cute and sweet she found a good home with an elderly man. She was an excellent lap dog! LOL
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
    Power Poster

Our dobies always thought they were lap dogs too! LOL
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM

We had several through the years. Fantastic dogs. The only bad one we ever had was an adult when we got him. Actually, he just disappeared one day and I was thankful for that. Otherwise any that we raised ourselves were just wonderful. When my daughter was very young and playing in the yard some guys drove up to our house. I didn't know them from Adam and they wanted to get out of their vehicle.
    Our dobie was shaking and growling at them, just waiting to jump on them if I gave the word. I told them if they got out of their vehicle she would take their legs off and I wouldn't be able to stop her. Needless to say, they left rather abruptly. I've always thought she really saved us that day from a bad situation. You won't regret a dobie.
    Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Well I am going to take my time to find the right pup for me, the right breeder, the right parents, great genetic/health testing etc. I know I want a female and pretty sure I've decided on black & tan over the red. I really can't wait to get a puppy though!
    Can't wait to see pictures!! We have had black and tan and cinnamon dobies. I prefer the black and tan. How do you feel about docking the tails and ears? We did on the first one we had. But after that unless the dog came that way we didn't have it done. It seems cruel to me. They are pretty dogs with or without the docking.
    Rhonda I must admit I love the docked tail and cropped ears. I love a long flame tipped crop on Great Danes and Dobermans. I just don't think they look right without the ears done. They look like hounds then to me.
    Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Rhonda I must admit I love the docked tail and cropped ears. I love a long flame tipped crop on Great Danes and Dobermans. I just don't think they look right without the ears done. They look like hounds then to me.
    That's true. We have had both. I had a litter of boxers I did have the tails cropped. It still isn't my favorite thing to do. But you're right they do look good when docked.
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 PM

We took in rescue Dobermans, "Just till we can find a good home for them" the rescue group told us. But of course we fell in love with them and refused to give them up, which was what they wanted in the first place. Loyal, good with kids, in fact when I had my last child old Kurt, the best dog who ever lived bar none, declared that Mark was HIS kid and no strangers would get near him. When DH's sweet old Portuguese mother came to visit, we had to put Kurt out back because he stood in front of the crib and snarled at her. He was so gentle with kids that the nursery school where Mark went asked us several times to bring Kurt to the school to show the little ones that big dogs could be nice.
    And when Steven Stayner was kidnapped from near the same school Mark was starting kindergarten, Kurt and I walked him to school for nearly a year. Kurt would push himself between the kid and any man who came near them.
    The others were sweethearts too, but Hilda was my DH's dog and no one else. I found an old picture of where she had pulled down DH's lap robe so she could have some of his covering to watch TV on, at his feet.
    One of them, Gertrude, we actually had to steal from an orchard where she had been tied and nearly starved because the lousy owners said she was savage. All the ride home this savage beast licked my DH's cheek and tried to sit in my lap. She lived with us for 13 years or so. Loved all of them.
    I was pack leader, with German dogs you have to be even more stubborn but luckily I was. They all lived in harmony with cats and kids and lived most of the time in the house with us, even though they had a big yard with shade tree and warm dog house. I miss them all.
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM

As with any pure bred that you plan to purchase, please make sure that you get one from a reputable and ethical breeder. Make sure that the parents, grandparents, etc. have been examined for the health issues that affect the breed, and that the breeder discloses this information to you. For Dobermans this includes Hip Displaysia (CHD), Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), Thyroiditis, and von Wilebrands disease vWD). All of the aforementioned hereditary problems have health clearance data bases easily (and free) accessed on www.offa.org.

Once you have found a breeder with a planned litter that you are interested in, don't be afraid to phone other breeders and ask them about her - even breeders of other breeds who may live in the same area.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. This is a family member that you get to choose, and with luck, this family member is going to be around for a very long time.

Also to consider is adopting a dog from Doberman rescue.

Good luck, and PM me if you need assistance with the health data base.
    Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM

I'm shouting. Dobermans are the best dog ever. I love my babies. I have Tank who will be 10 in May. Lili is 10 months old. Tank is Lili's grandpa. We lost grandma Heidi a year ago and Lili is so much like her. They are very good family dogs.
    It is a good idea to socialize them. My dobermans will bark when someone is at the door but if I let them in or say come on in they'll just take our guests right to the treat box. My male was never around babies much but when there was a baby here recently he still let that baby bite his ear and crawl all over him. I broke my knee 2 weeks ago and they are here by my side. If I get up and walk on my crutches its like they walk with me making sure I'm okay. You'll never have a more loyal loving dog.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-134305.jpe