Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Any Doberman owners out there? >
  • Any Doberman owners out there?

• Any Doberman owners out there?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    As with any pure bred that you plan to purchase, please make sure that you get one from a reputable and ethical breeder. Make sure that the parents, grandparents, etc. have been examined for the health issues that affect the breed, and that the breeder discloses this information to you. For Dobermans this includes Hip Displaysia (CHD), Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), Thyroiditis, and von Wilebrands disease vWD). All of the aforementioned hereditary problems have health clearance data bases easily (and free) accessed on www.offa.org.

Once you have found a breeder with a planned litter that you are interested in, don't be afraid to phone other breeders and ask them about her - even breeders of other breeds who may live in the same area.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. This is a family member that you get to choose, and with luck, this family member is going to be around for a very long time.

Also to consider is adopting a dog from Doberman rescue.

Good luck, and PM me if you need assistance with the health data base.
    Thanks for all of the good advice Sue. I have started my research on the breed, especially for the genetic health issues. I find they share quite a few with the Great Danes which I've had before. I go to the local shows and meet many wonderful owners and get contact information for local kennels. I am taking my time becuase I want to find the right breeeder and pup for me. I have had purebreds & rescues and loved them all dearly.
    Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM

Kim,

Lili and Tank are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the pics and stories. Sorry to hear you broke your knee, my 20 yr. old son just dislocated his the night before I had to ship him back to college in New Hampshire. 3 feet of snow and crutches have been proving more than difficult for him.
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM

When my daughter was very young and playing in the yard some guys drove up to our house. I didn't know them from Adam and they wanted to get out of their vehicle.
    Our dobie was shaking and growling at them, just waiting to jump on them if I gave the word. I told them if they got out of their vehicle she would take their legs off and I wouldn't be able to stop her. Needless to say, they left rather abruptly. I've always thought she really saved us that day from a bad situation.
    -----------------------------
    Many years ago in Ft. Worth, my 4 year old GD and almost 3 year old GS were playing in the front yard with their Dobie. GD wondered in to tell my DD that the dog had bitten "that man" and DD rushed out thinking of law suits, etc. GS was playing quietly and when asked, DGD just said that when the man reached over the fence to pick up DGS, the dog bit him. So after that the kids, and the dog, always played in the back yard. Still makes me shiver with fear, wondering what would have happened to him.
    Now he's a father and very, very careful where his own kids play.
    Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JEM65
    Kim,

Lili and Tank are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the pics and stories. Sorry to hear you broke your knee, my 20 yr. old son just dislocated his the night before I had to ship him back to college in New Hampshire. 3 feet of snow and crutches have been proving more than difficult for him.
    Good luck to your son. Wow I'm glad we have no snow here anymore. I've only been out to the doctor and its hard enough without snow. Good luck on your Dobie search. doghousemom has some really good ideas too. My Dobies had a couple of liters and I had all the health info ready along with the vets card for people to see. So yeah make sure when looking at babies that all that info is givin to you. Very important. Again, good luck. Show pictures when you find one.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Ramona those two stories are horrifying. You can never be too careful with kids. It is a very sad commentary on society that we can't let our children play in their own yards alone.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM

I found a stray doberman years ago - couldn't find the owner so we kept him. He was the best dog and we were saddened when he died.