any herb growers out there

Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Their seeds are outstanding too. I have never been disappointed by them.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 PM

If you are ordering any rosemary plants, get the ARP .It can take the heat and also the cold. One tuff mother.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by trisha
I would like to grow Stevia this year? Have you tried that yet? And if so, how do you use it from the plant? I have it in a box. My husband loves it.
oh my..it is great to grow..easy...I grow it in pots..it is best to get it from a nursery and taste the leaves to find a good sweet one..they do better from cuttings than from seed... they are only annual, so you either have to do a cutting from your plant or buy a new one each year...

I chew the leaves with either a double mint or a spearmint leaf just like gum..I also use the leaves in my iced tea..with mint leaves as well..and it can be dried on screen or dehydrator and stored in jars, simply crush and use in teas...as a diabetic I just love stevia!
Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to check out the greenhouse to see if they have any this year. I have never seen it sold here yet, but wasn't looking before.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 AM

I would like to grow Stevia this year? Have you tried that yet? And if so, how do you use it from the plant? I have it in a box. My husband loves it.
oh my..it is great to grow..easy...I grow it in pots..it is best to get it from a nursery and taste the leaves to find a good sweet one..they do better from cuttings than from seed... they are only annual, so you either have to do a cutting from your plant or buy a new one each year...

I chew the leaves with either a double mint or a spearmint leaf just like gum..I also use the leaves in my iced tea..with mint leaves as well..and it can be dried on screen or dehydrator and stored in jars, simply crush and use in teas...as a diabetic I just love stevia!
That is what i use for sweetener. I buy it in the vitamin section and it comes in little packages, just like any other artificial sweetener.
I never knew that we could grow it here in OK. Did you find the plants locally, or did you have to order.??
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cinnya

That is what i use for sweetener. I buy it in the vitamin section and it comes in little packages, just like any other artificial sweetener.
I never knew that we could grow it here in OK. Did you find the plants locally, or did you have to order.??
I found them locally at plants a plenty...but even lowe's had some last year!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 AM

I grow a number of herbs this is the first year though I'm starting from seed. So far so good, our local nursery and big stores but the prices are going up and up. Right now I have growing lemon basil, sweet basil, rosemary, cilantro, chives, and oregano. I'm also going to start to grow some flowers indoors as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Thank you for your reply.Off to Lowes I go :D
Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM

For those that grow rosemary is that a plant that comes back each year? I know my mint does but most other things I have to replant each year. Is there a particular brand of rosemary I should be trying to grow?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Sheila, it is doubtful that rosemary would be perennial in Ottawa. I am several zones south of you, at about 5A, in mid-NY State and mine has needed to be replanted. When I was in Napa Valley, CA, it grows like hedges and is amazing.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheila_H
For those that grow rosemary is that a plant that comes back each year? I know my mint does but most other things I have to replant each year. Is there a particular brand of rosemary I should be trying to grow?
if you put it in a pot and brought in you might be able to keep it...it is hardy here usually, but we went below zero too many times this year and I lost all 3 of mine..one was 6 years old!