Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Any realtors out there?  I have a home improvement question... >
  • Any realtors out there? I have a home improvement question...

• Any realtors out there? I have a home improvement question...

Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Originally Posted by true4uca
    My friend just converted her garage into a sewing room. Walls insulated. Interior wall 3 ft. inside garage door, a storage area width of garage. Garage door stays operational to access the storage area. She used carpet. If she moves this interior wall & carpet can be removed & garage is restored. Of course this is a townhouse, so she parks outside.
    That is a really interesting concept - is it cold in the winter or hot in the summer though? I'll have to see how much space the storm shelter would take up.. that is a good possibility. I would love to see pictures if she wouldn't mind sharing them ;) I'm having a hard time envisioning how the garage door opener would be and all.
    you do realize you can get storm shelters that go into the floor right??? they take about 3' x 6' of space and the doors are covered with the same carpeting you use in the rest of the room!
    here in OK we specialize in all sorts of shelters!
    http://www.tswstormshelters.com/
    http://www.ef-5shelters.com/UNDERGARAGE.html

of course if remodeling the garage you can also make a "safe room" simply by using cinder block up against the wall of the house! It looks like a closet but is safer. They just built those in all of the new military housing here.
    http://www.stormxshelters.com/
    Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 PM

Definitely call your Realtor! With a HOA and active covenants you may not be able to make any of the changes you envision! We had one subdivision here in Atlanta that required only black roofs on homes - a storm came through and a homeowner got a new brown roof - HOA forced them to get a black roof again! I am a Realtor and finding out all of rules prior to any changes is the way to go!
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Detached garages are alright if you live in a good neighborhood. However, I do have to say that attached garages are valued more, due to their convenience and safety. Hmmm perhaps shop for a new house? I don't know what the house market in your area is doing, but here in Wyoming we are doing well. With a HOA is a bummer and makes it hard that is for sure. However, theatre rooms are very hot right now, I have numerous friends who are putting them in. My brother put in one and sound proofed his walls, his is in the basement.
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM

sorry it doubled on me
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 PM

Attached-Detached, this is the question. The answer is in your neighborhood. Which is more common? I'd feel safer in a storm with the kids in the main house and the cars in the out building. Think about attaching the garage to the house with a porte cochere. That could add some storage and keep you out of the bulk of the weather.
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 PM

We added an addition to our house. We only lost 2 windows but then got 3 in the addition. We are very excited about our addition. Of course our neighborhood ins't the type that has restrictions. We added a 32' X 28' section. It has our very large master bedroom, big master bath with laundry set up for 2 large stackables, small bedroom for the baby (can later be used for office etc) and a small 1/2 bath. My DH wanted the entire add on to be our bedroom!! To me that was CRAZY! We don't have an attached or detached garage. Later we plan to build one on the other side of our house by our driveway. To us we needed the extra live in space. With 7 people in our home we only had 3 bedrooms, now we will have 5. The other bedrooms are very spacious but it's not very private when you are sharing. ;)

Good luck on whatever you do. ;)
    Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 AM

Our HOA is not too terribly restrictive so I'm lucky there. We just have to be full brick to match the house and the roof has to have the same color + overall shape. Our neighborhood is a safe one which is also nice.

I'm thinking that if we add a few sky lights to the main living room then we would be able to keep the light in the room. David likes it dark in there so that he can watch tv without glare and due to the rear patio there isn't a whole lot of light coming through that room in the first place.

I think I'll call for a few estimates on an addition off the back of the house and see what I am told. I think it can be pretty doable and it would be fabulous in the end :)
    Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 AM

Good luck. :)