anyone else jam making

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Made cherry, boysenberry, strawberry, apricot-pineapple. Will do apples, pears and green tomato jam yet this fall. Went through 3 10 pounds of sugar and made some sugar free. Gave daughter and family two dozen 6 oz. jars of the strawberry jelly last week.

Two packages will be off to Texas friends this week. And one to cousin in Idaho.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
Not yet but when I get done picking huckleberrys I will be making some more jam.
Oh, we love huckleberries!! Looks like they are selling for $40 a gallon now around Spokane. Hubby will NOT let me make the jam because he likes to just eat them with a little sugar on them. No cookies, no muffins, no pancakes.....at least he lets me buy them! :lol:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
Not yet but when I get done picking huckleberrys I will be making some more jam.
Oh, we love huckleberries!! Looks like they are selling for $40 a gallon now around Spokane. Hubby will NOT let me make the jam because he likes to just eat them with a little sugar on them. No cookies, no muffins, no pancakes.....at least he lets me buy them! :lol:
I have never had huckleberries, I bet they are really good, I made strawberry freezer jam, and peach freezer jam this year but that is all.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM

the blackberries I pick from the hedgerows and the strawberries I persuaded a local strawberry grower to give me they were all the mishapen ones that he couldn't send of to the supermarkets
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I love, love, love homemade blackberry and strawberry jams. My mom used to make jams, but I've never learned (and don't have any garden to speak of this year anyway). I'm so envious of your jam. :)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
i would love to try elderberry, i've heard of them but never even seen them. i made plum back in the spring, and last year made some blackberry. next year i hope to have enough strawberries. problem is my husband and i don't eat much, it's fun to make and give but gets expensive.
Most of mine are going as gifts for Christmas inside the bags I am making along with a few other bits and pieces - a bit like a hamper.
Elderberries are quite a sharp taste and the very tiny fruit grows in clumps on the end of long stalks they look lovely hanging from the trees but are time consuming to prepare!!- have loads of them growing wild near me so with them and the hedgerow blackberries doesn't cost too much
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 AM

You must try spiced tomato jam - I LOVELOVELOVE it - I can just eat it out of the jar with a spoon it is so yummy!!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
That is why I go to the mountains to pick them. Besides it is a ladies only weekend of picking, laughing and exploring. I don't much like the camping part anymore but hey gotta do what I gotta do to get them berrys.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
You must try spiced tomato jam - I LOVELOVELOVE it - I can just eat it out of the jar with a spoon it is so yummy!!
I've never heard of that. Is the recipe here somewhere?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Yes! Just Jelly and jam .
Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I've never heard of that. Is the recipe here somewhere?
It's in the Ball book