Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet? >
  • Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet?

• Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM
    Power Poster

DH and I eat only whole foods, no process foods. It took some time to get him switched over. I kept eliminating foods little by little. DH has been off his meds for five years now since we started eating this way. Eating healthy foods will eliminate a lot of ills. One sad example I saw recently, a young child had a pint of blueberries and wanted her mom to buy them for her. The mom said no they are $6! She picked up a box of Twinkies and said I can buy two of these for the same price as those, two boxes went in the cart. I wanted to say something, I knew I couldn't.
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Oh, dear! I *am* planning on going blueberry picking later this week... and haven't bought Twinkies for my family in... I can't remember how long.

I'd rather have 'em picking the wild black raspberries from our yard.

What *is* in the creme filling anyway?
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 AM
    Banned

I've done some reading about it -- I don't think I could last very long without grains, though!
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    How about nuts and seeds? Are the sunflower seeds and almonds I have on my desk compliant? Maybe it depends on what oil they were roasted in?
    Yep. Perfectly fine in a paleo diet. All nuts and seeds are good except for peanuts (which are really beans).
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by rivka
    I've done some reading about it -- I don't think I could last very long without grains, though!
    I thought so too. But after a couple of weeks it became easier and easier. Nobody is perfect. You might consider starting with one meal a day and then increasing to a second meal, etc. I committed to giving it 30 days..... That was about 9 weeks ago! I still take a tiny bit of sugar in my coffee and iced tea, but I haven't eaten any bread, rice, pasta or dairy since I started. It wasn't easy at first but I feel fabulous so it is worth It for my health.
    Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for the link!
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Jenni M
    How about nuts and seeds? Are the sunflower seeds and almonds I have on my desk compliant? Maybe it depends on what oil they were roasted in?
    Yep. Perfectly fine in a paleo diet. All nuts and seeds are good except for peanuts (which are really beans).
    So... no beans? Or ... no dried beans? Are green beans ok?
    Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM
    Banned

sadly like all FAD diets,this one is bound to fail.
    especially if you think eating nuts all day is good, you are mistaken...just ask your gall bladder...they are hard for the body to properly digest and too many give you the wrong oils!
    the best nuts are RAW and not many can stand those...they also do not keep well so are hard to find.
    and if you are eating meat, it is NOT like our ancestors..our is filled with chemicals the animals are fed! Fish are filled with toxins as well.

If we ate like are ancestors, we only be eating about 3 cups of food a day...and they would be grains...roots, bark, leaves..

If you can eliminate starches, sugar, caffeine, carbonation, and fats, then add in a 5 mile brisk walk every day and you will be fine!
    Of course like everything else, these diets always sound/look great, but changes like these are hard to maintain past 3 months!

here are some links with more info about this..not the first DIET of this type either!
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pal...oforbidden.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pal...eodietfood.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

With the exception of yogurt, cottage cheese and and legumes, I live with a diet like this.
    I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have a lapband.
    I have to live on a HIGH protein diet, and have days where HARD proteins make me sick, so soft ones, like cottage cheese and whipped beans are consumed about once a week.

I have not eaten bread or anything in the family of bread/baked goods in two years! Nor corn, pasta, salads, most fruits, esp grapes/raisins! It is not easy, but necessary!
    Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 PM

The beginning is always hard but all of a sudden you will lose weight. Ohh you reminded me of crossfit. I had a trainer last year for that and it was a fun torture, and everyday i keep telling myself today i will go...tomorrow i will go. I guess the time has come.
    Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Hi Jenni...yes, hubby and I are just trying to get on to it ourselves the last couple of weeks or so. We started crossfit a few weeks ago and they promote the diet there. We really like it although I'm struggling with breakfast the most as we were definitely cereal eaters at breakfast...lol. Unfortunately, I haven't lost any weight yet :( but I know I'm snacking on too many nuts...lol. But it is a great way of eating and we both feel so good.
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far...that's great :)
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    sadly like all FAD diets,this one is bound to fail.
    especially if you think eating nuts all day is good, you are mistaken...just ask your gall bladder...they are hard for the body to properly digest and too many give you the wrong oils!
    the best nuts are RAW and not many can stand those...they also do not keep well so are hard to find.
    and if you are eating meat, it is NOT like our ancestors..our is filled with chemicals the animals are fed! Fish are filled with toxins as well.

If we ate like are ancestors, we only be eating about 3 cups of food a day...and they would be grains...roots, bark, leaves..

If you can eliminate starches, sugar, caffeine, carbonation, and fats, then add in a 5 mile brisk walk every day and you will be fine!
    Of course like everything else, these diets always sound/look great, but changes like these are hard to maintain past 3 months!

here are some links with more info about this..not the first DIET of this type either!
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pal...oforbidden.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pal...eodietfood.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

With the exception of yogurt, cottage cheese and and legumes, I live with a diet like this.
    I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have a lapband.
    I have to live on a HIGH protein diet, and have days where HARD proteins make me sick, so soft ones, like cottage cheese and whipped beans are consumed about once a week.

I have not eaten bread or anything in the family of bread/baked goods in two years! Nor corn, pasta, salads, most fruits, esp grapes/raisins! It is not easy, but necessary!
    Sounds like we agree on some points but definately not on others. I'm sure this program isn't for everyone, but I assure you that I have done my research and feel comfortable that is right for me.

I do not consider this a FAD diet as you stated and I wish you the best in the health program that you choose.