Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet? >
  • Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet?

• Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Is it similar to the Atkins diet?
    I must give credit for this fine answer to qb member Spark Monkey. Could't have explained it better myself.

"It's low-carb, yes, but quite different from Atkins. Atkins restricts all carbs, regardless of the source. Naturally-occurring fruit and vegetable sugars are fine on this diet. Atkins also ignores things like omega-3/omega-6 ratios, and as far as I'm aware there is no education whatsoever on things like healthy fats (not all oils are created equal) and the nutritional difference between naturally-raised meats and feedlot-raised meats.

Atkins was a good start in reducing the amount of carbs we eat, but there's been a boatload of research done since then and we're finding that it's a lot more complicated than "eat this, not that." All I know is that I feel really, really good eating this way, and I've continued to shed pounds steadily since the initial plummet (I could stand to lose another ten or so).

Most Paleo followers are also very much into exercise and physical fitness, which is another thing entirely. The whole foundation of the diet is based on the natural evolution of people, and the simple fact is that we were created to be on the move. It's not just a diet, it's an entire way of life."
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Jenni M
    Sounds like we agree on some points but definately not on others. I'm sure this program isn't for everyone, but I assure you that I have done my research and feel comfortable that is right for me.

I do not consider this a FAD diet as you stated and I wish you the best in the health program that you choose.
    Perhaps "FAD" was not the right word...ALL diets/change of life plans, etc...are called FAD's because they are HOT today and gone tomorrow when somebody like Oprah, Dr. Oz, etc promote the NEXT hot plan!

Some of this Paleo plan is stuff that others have been touting, promoting and practicing for years...so what makes it different now with this guy?

And if beans were so bad for you, how come there are thousands of Vegans who swear by THEIR lifestyle plans and have lost hundreds of pounds doing it?

The answer is simply this. EACH of us has to find the "magic bean" that works for our genetic make up! For some it might be becoming vegetarian, or even vegan. For others it might be the Paleo, it could be the South beach, the Atkins, Jenny Craig, etc...some times, it takes a life time to figure it out.

I am glad this works for you and hope that it will continue to make you feel so good!
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM

My chiropractor just recommended this diet to me.
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
    Banned

another question, as a diabetic with a lapband, I have a HIGH protein diet. I am very restricted on the fruits and veggies I can eat, is it worth buying the cook book?
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    another question, as a diabetic with a lapband, I have a HIGH protein diet. I am very restricted on the fruits and veggies I can eat, is it worth buying the cook book?
    I really like the book "Everyday Paleo". It is written by a busy mother of three with a degree in Psychology (I think) who had a complete turnaround in her health as a result of this lifestyle. All of the recipes have color photos and are simple in preparation. There is also a really good section on exercise with great photos to show proper form. You might be able to review it on amazon to see if it is something you might like. OH, also I would recommend the podcasts, "Everyday Paleo", and "robbwolfe.com". Robb is a biologist and an expert in the field. You could ask questions on his blog or send emails relevant to your particular health issues. Let me know what you think.

Jen
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
    Banned

so Jen, do you prefer the Robb Wolf book or the Loren Cordain book?
    Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 PM
    Banned

I posted to my Sparkpeople Lapband group about this. They had not heard of it, but did find this link!

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/

very interesting read actually!
    There are some things NOT conducive to a Lapband way of life, but for the most part, this IS how I live!
    I think I might ADD sweet potato back into my life now!
    Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 PM

Is there any way that this thread could be moved to the the general chat section?

It's interesting, and all that, but I can't see that it has anything to do with quilting....
    Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Is there any way that this thread could be moved to the the general chat section?

It's interesting, and all that, but I can't see that it has anything to do with quilting....
    So sorry, you're right, I should have started this topic in the general chit chat section. My mistake...I'll be more careful next time. :(
    Old 07-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    so Jen, do you prefer the Robb Wolf book or the Loren Cordain book?
    I actually have them both, but just received the Loren Cordain book (hubby is reading it right now). I loved Robb Wolf's book though. I think you might enjoy it. I like the way he adds some comic relief to real life situations. Makes you see things in a totally different way that makes sense to those of us who are not molecular biologists!