Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet? >
  • Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet?

• Anyone Familiar with the Paleo Diet?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:38 AM

Jenni, that is SUCH good news about your systemic inflammation! My experience with all of this has made me seriously consider going back to school and being certified as a nutritionist. There's not one single person I know who has gone Paleo that hasn't had a mysterious or chronic issue improve or disappear completely, and I feel like it could help so many people.

I think it's pretty funny that I fantasize about buying a chest freezer so I can store grass-fed beef and pastured pork quarters. ;) And I've already told J, when we're ready to buy property, I want enough room to raise our own meat animals. I grew up on home-raised beef and ohhhhh do I miss it.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM
    Banned

well, I finally found some time to READ the book..while traveling to and from MO this weekend....it clicked a lot of things about what I was eating when I was losing weight, and what I have been eating since and NOT losing weight.

my diet is already pretty odd since I have a lapband and I am diabetic, but if I go Paleo it will pretty much mean I am only eating fish, turkey, shrimp, veggies and fruit..all natural and nothing canned! My biggest concern is the quantity..the Paleo book says eat all you want of these groups...my lapband only allows me to eat 3-4 oz of food at a time with 2-3 oz of that being lean protein...and only 3 meals per day...that means I would be eating less than one pound of food every day...even if I added in the 3 snacks at 2 oz each it would not add that much. Seems a bit extreme to me. BUT, I am just desperate enough to give it a go. When I was losing tons of weight really fast after the lapband surgery I was living on 800 calories a day and that was from one protein shake a day, eggs, chicken breasts, fruits and veggies, and peanut butter! Not too different from the Paleo....I stopped losing weight when I added nuts instead of peanut butter, beans(fat free refried) and red meats. Then came more dairy like cottage cheese, cheese sticks, milk in the shakes, etc...and finally I gave up on the zero starch/carb and started to eat crackers(rice flour). That is when the exercise stopped, the pain came on from my lower back issues and weight came back on! I am going to have to work hard to get back on track with losing the last 45 pounds I want to have gone!

how are you doing with the Paleo Jenni?