Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone here with sleep apnea? >
  • Anyone here with sleep apnea?

• Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I am shocked at how many members have this condition. I am wondering if it is always linked with being overweight?
    It isn't always linked with that. And this is kind of a chicken or the egg question. Did the person become overweight because of the sleep apnea or did it 'cause' the apnea?
    Old 06-25-2011, 06:21 AM

My sleep apnea began when I was at a normal weight. I've had it for nearly 15 years but have only been treated for it for 5. Well, my weight gain in that 15 years has been out of hand and I'm not losing since the machine. I don't believe weight gain is the cause of SA nor does a good nights sleep reverse weight gain. I do believe weight gain is a symptom of emotional stress. (A whole other story!) And Dr.'s who won't listen, or even read their notes from previous visits. How many times do we have to tell them the thyroid is outta whack?? Or the meds aren't helping. etc, etc.
    Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 AM

For those of you experiencing both or either weight gain o sleep apnea insist on a thyroid test. The range for the TSH is .5-1.5 though many doctors fail to recognize anything out side that range as possible problems. If you test outside that range tell instist on teatment. Your thyroid tells evry part of your body what to do and at what speed. When it is off it throws the whole body off. Not al illnesses are linked to it but many are. Why get treated for a syptom rather hen the cause. It's worth finding out. For most of my life I had an adnormal heart rate for which doctors shugged but flagged my records. It wasn't until we were living in Germany a German Gynocologist diagnosed me as hpothyroid as I walked through his door.
    Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
    For those of you experiencing both or either weight gain o sleep apnea insist on a thyroid test. The range for the TSH is .5-1.5 though many doctors fail to recognize anything out side that range as possible problems. If you test outside that range tell instist on teatment. Your thyroid tells evry part of your body what to do and at what speed. When it is off it throws the whole body off. Not al illnesses are linked to it but many are. Why get treated for a syptom rather hen the cause. It's worth finding out. For most of my life I had an adnormal heart rate for which doctors shugged but flagged my records. It wasn't until we were living in Germany a German Gynocologist diagnosed me as hpothyroid as I walked through his door.
    The endocrinologist from Mayo said "Your TSH is 19. Not too bad. It's not like it's 45 or something!!"
    I was furious. I don't care what it's not...I care what it is and how to fix it! Dang it! Who can you trust??
    Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
    Originally Posted by writerwomen
    The endocrinologist from Mayo said "Your TSH is 19. Not too bad. It's not like it's 45 or something!!"
    I was furious. I don't care what it's not...I care what it is and how to fix it! Dang it! Who can you trust??
    The best thing is to do as much research as you can on your own. One of the books I found easy to ead was Thyroid for dummies. You have to be your own advocate on this. They look at numbers you have to make them look at you and what is happening. When mine is off al sorts of things happen- Fatique then sudden rushes of energy followed by exhaustion. Heart palpatations, body temp off and so on. You really have to research- use every resource you can then weed through and decide what sounds most realistic- some info out there on the web is way off so use common sense.
    Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM

I had a friend who was diagnosed with it and always had a problem with the mask. last year she had her adnoids taken out and ever since then she says she's never had such a good night sleep; without the mask
    Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Never heard about the utility bill discount. I have been on it for about 6 years. With me it was very dangerous, I would actually doze off just about anytime I was still. I had been telling my doctor I was tired all the time and she did not seem like it was any big deal. I fell asleep while waiting for her in the exam room, and she said was I really that tired. She ordered a test that day and the machine was an instant cure. After she saw the results she appologized and said I stopped breathing 80 times in an hour. As soon as I went on the machine it was an instant cure, I felt like a different person.
    Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 AM

I read this and never knew anything about a relation between thyroid and sleep apnea. I have both and have been on thyroid medication and developed sleep apnia. It is interesting that hypo thyroid can also have an affect on sleep apnea. Initially I had Graves Disease which is a hyper thyroid disorder, since having part of my thyroid removed I now have hypo thyroid.
    Interesting.
    Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM

I was diagnosed last year. Tried the CPAP, but I kept getting head colds and sinus infections. The little I did use, it worked, but I could not keep getting sick and missing work unpaid. I am going to try the dental appliance and weight loss. I need to lose 40 to 60 pounds my doctor said and recommended lap band surgery. I am checking that out, but I don't have to decide on it right away.
    Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 AM

I found that I have been healthier since I started using my CPAP last August. Only one tiny cold since then and I feel that I am breathing easier. I have supplemental oxygen with the CPAP. Now after an all night O2 test, Dr wants me to do another sleep study cause he thinks I may need a Bi-PAP. I have reservations but since the CPAP has helped me so much, I'll try to cooperate. Seriously folks, sleep apnea is serious stuff. And I am someone who HATES to have to see the doctor and undergo tests. Hubby has to spend so much time in various dr offices that I totally dislike adding more appointments, but ima gonna go. This has been a great thread.