Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone into genealogy research??? >
  • Anyone into genealogy research???

• Anyone into genealogy research???

Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Chasing Hawk -- I think that's SO cool!! Even the Dalton gang issue...LOL I've said for years that my heritage was anyone hanging out on a street corner.....I think mom STILL wants to swat me when I say that! So far I've found I have England, Ireland, Scotland (that explains a lot), Spain, France, Holland and Italy in my heritage!!!!!
    Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 AM

I love genealogy! Was working on it for quite a few years, and then started quilting, so it took a back seat...LOL I know you all can relate. I too have been researching my husbands native american heritage. He is a descendant from the Cherokee in Kentucky, not to mention the Blantons (which there are 3 distinct lines) The native american part is fascinating, and very hard to verify. My family tree includes mostly German, with a little Irish, and Swedish. At least so far. ONe of my direct descendants bought land with Willam Penn& John Fenwick and was part of the settling community of the Society of Friends.. the Quakers. The one I always love to "claim" is my Hershey blood! My grandmother was a Hershey! I tell them I come by my chocolate addiction naturally......
    Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Since I am the last of my dad's decendents, I have researched his side a little bit. I just adore his 2 old maid great-aunts. They both had college degrees, around 1900, and 1 taught industrial arts (shop) in chicago. I found a wonderful tribute to 1 written up in the local newspaper when she died. It sure is addicting!
    Old 05-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Genealogy has been a part of our family since the late 60's. I love Family Tree Maker. Have found family back to the 1400's in France, England, Ireland. We discovered that my Mom's ancesters, the Bonney's, were pioneers in Washington State.Thomas Bonney came to America in the 1600's and lived down the street from Alden when there were only 16 family's in Duxbury. What fun. Some of our ancesters may have lived close to together or known each other back in the day.When I sit down at the computer and do genealogy or the Quilting Board hours literally rush by and I am shocked to see it is 3,4, 5 hours later. Quilting and genealogy are both like wonderful and exciting puzzles.
    Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    I love genealogy! Was working on it for quite a few years, and then started quilting, so it took a back seat...LOL I know you all can relate. I too have been researching my husbands native american heritage. He is a descendant from the Cherokee in Kentucky, not to mention the Blantons (which there are 3 distinct lines) The native american part is fascinating, and very hard to verify. My family tree includes mostly German, with a little Irish, and Swedish. At least so far. ONe of my direct descendants bought land with Willam Penn& John Fenwick and was part of the settling community of the Society of Friends.. the Quakers. The one I always love to "claim" is my Hershey blood! My grandmother was a Hershey! I tell them I come by my chocolate addiction naturally......

Are you familiar with the Cherokee tribe being cataloged? Can't remember what it is called, but there is a listing of the Cherokee after they were moved to OK. It has been said that we have Cherokee on the Adams side of the family. Haven't seen it show up yet. Good Luck on your search.
    Judy
    Old 05-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Genealogy has been a part of our family since the late 60's. I love Family Tree Maker. Have found family back to the 1400's in France, England, Ireland. We discovered that my Mom's ancesters, the Bonney's, were pioneers in Washington State. We are also enrolled in the Snohomish Tribe of Indians in Washington State. We were always taught to be proud of our Native American ancestry. When I sit down at the computer and do genealogy or the Quilting Board hours literally rush by and I am shocked to see it is 3,4, 5 hours later. Quilting and genealogy are both like wonderful and exciting puzzles.

Have belonged to Ancestry.com for many years. Let me know if I can look up anyone for you. It would be a pleasure.
    Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
    I started researching mine about 20 years ago until it consumed me! My grandmothers maiden name was Thatcher. Some family members has traced our family back to Margaret Thatcher. My brother calls her "Aunt Maggie" :lol: Do you see a family resemblance? ;)
    Marsye, this the best avatar yet. Ain't he a handsone fella?
    Old 05-01-2010, 04:43 PM

I love genealogy. I'm doing my husband's family since my mother is doing mine and has been for about 30 years. Just a word of caution about ancestry.com, rootsweb.com and all the rest of the genealogy research sites. You have to be careful when you are looking at the family trees posted by members. Don't take any of that information at face value. Members can (and do as I have discovered) post family trees that are not supported by anything other than family stories and legends. I don't even look at those sections any more. I spend time looking at the census records and stuff like that. There is a great site called Findagrave.com that has photos of headstones on it. I found a photo of my dh's ggfather on it.
    Old 05-01-2010, 05:10 PM

You DO need to be careful, and consider it to NOT be true until YOU prove it is through records. However, those family trees that others post are a valuable resource. They can give you a place to look for the records, and give you connections to other family members that are looking for the same ancestors that you are. I've gained TONS of knowledge, and documents that I don't think I'd have ever gotten without connecting with someone else thru their tree!

Find a Grave is a great resource as well!
    Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Well, in this case, I'll take what I can get off Ancestry.com. I see where some people screw up -- like father having a son with birthday BEFORE the father was born!!!!!!! I'm doing double checking, triple checking AND looking to see where they got the information. Most of what I've found so far -- especially the kings, are documented. In fact, Wikapedia has info on them and spells out the descendents!!! It's just that I'd always felt like we were orphans over here in Oregon --- not knowing anything about my paternal family nor the children's father's family.....and to find ANYTHING is awesome! Since I wrote this today, I talked with a niece. Looks like next summer I'll be working on planning a reunion so all the cousins and whoever else can't get together. Since divorces, kids haven't seen each other in years!