Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone into genealogy research??? >
  • Anyone into genealogy research???

• Anyone into genealogy research???

Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM

It's funny how things work out sometimes!

My g-grandpappy was a man named Joseph Pleasant Barber. Ol' Joe had a little trouble with the bottle and keeping his pants on, so g-grandmother divorced him. He remarried, and had a son with his second wife. I searched on Ancestry, and found a private tree (no access unless granted by the person posting the tree) that had the name of the son on it.
    I quickly sent off an electronic missive, requesting additional information about the son, and thru the son, hopefully to find more information about my g-grandfather, who we knew little about. There was no response, and I wrote it off as someone who either wanted nothing to do with me, or someone who didn't check her emails or Ancestry account much.
    About a month and a half ago, I get a message on Facebook, asking if I was the same person that had sent an email asking about her grandfather, Beverly Burton Barber? I immediately sent a message back, saying YES! I am!

I added her to my friend's list immediately, and when I enlarged her photo...it was one of my former customers!!!!!!! She didn't recognise my photo...the last time they'd seen me, I weighed 300lbs! I had the advantage, and the onery in me oozed out all over... ~grin~

I asked if she was the same (name) that lived in this area, and she responded with a guarded "yes", and offered me her email. I responded, "how about I just call you? Is your number still.....?" She got very quiet. Minutes passed. I was giggling. I finally dashed off an email to the addy she'd given me and told her "JoAnne! It's ME! Charlee...from ..." and gave her my phone number. Within a few minutes, the phone rang and we enjoyed a good laugh, not only over my teasing her and making her think I was some kind of cyber-stalker, but over the fact that we've enjoyed each other's company many times over the years and didn't have a clue that we were cousins!

Those tree can be worth a fortune! ;)
    Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Born2Sew!!!!! 10,000!!! I thought I had a lot when I had 300!!!! WOW! My father talked about the Ropers and my mother talked about them...I remember asking if they were related and mom said "no, your father doesn't have any Ropers". I thought I was screwed up....WELL -- yip, both sides have Ropers that trace back to South Carolina....same county!!! Mom always put down dad's side of the family --- made my day to call her and tell her we had inbreeding and were related!!! LOL

Charlee --- I'm on Ancestry, too!! I actually didn't find what I needed there....but I did a google for Sarah Belle and found that she was on Ancestry/Geneology. I believe that unless you're in the right "department" on Ancestry you won't find what you need. Now I google everyone and find TONS!

earthwalker --- we MAY be related!!! LOL

I DO believe this can be timeconsuming!!! I've now set myself up to do a few hours of research and a few hours of quilting. Good thing I'm retired!! I actually caught myself not wanting to go to the Home/Garden Show yesterday -- and it was MY idea!!!!!
    Hey, we are quite likely related. Roper was my maiden name and my family was from Pickens Co SC....
    Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Charlee!!! I was chuckeling over that coincidence when I read the next from Born2Sew!!!!!

Born2Sew!! HI CUZ!!!! I'm going to PM you in the morning -- we NEED to make comparisons!!! I'm exhausted tonight and would probably screw up. My Ropers are from Edgefield County -- not that far from Pickens county!!!
    Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM

That is so funny! I love it!

Charlee your story is pretty cool too. I really like stories like that.

You are so right about Native American ancestry. I asked my dad when I was a kid if we had any na ancestry. He said no, he didn't know of any. Well, if I could just prove all I have found, it would be something. My mom's gggrandmother was on the trail of tears. I tried to read a book about it once, and had to stop. It was to painful to think about. That was before I knew we had any ancestors who were on it. Seems that I have N.A. in all of my lines in one way or another.
    Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
    Google Goddess

awesome, I just got some of our family history from parents
    Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 PM

I had heard all my life that my dad's family had been traced back to William the Conqueror. Basically figured the ancestor was one of the soldiers. A cousin who was really into genealogy found a distant relative who had done further research and it turns out it was actually William himself that was the ancestor and then that person had traced the lineage all the way back thru all the European royalty to Charlemaine. Very interesting! There's even a castle in England that apparently is family related. Would love to go there sometime and see it.
    Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 AM

This is so cool!!!
    I decided to veer off from my family and do a little searching for DHs ancestors last night (after all, it WAS his birthday :lol: ). I found some lineage on him that directed to a coupla castles in Wales!!!! COOL! even had pictures of them, but darn it, I'm outta ink!

His family is HARD. His GGrandfather and GGrandmother came to the US -- their names were Jendra in Russia......and when they hit Ellis Island, they were "told" their names were Rosenthal!!!!!!!!!! I haven't been able to find out any more about them. SIL has the naturalization papers, too. I understand that Russia destroyed a lot of their historical records!!!!!!
    Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
    You DO need to be careful, and consider it to NOT be true until YOU prove it is through records. However, those family trees that others post are a valuable resource. They can give you a place to look for the records, and give you connections to other family members that are looking for the same ancestors that you are. I've gained TONS of knowledge, and documents that I don't think I'd have ever gotten without connecting with someone else thru their tree!

YAY!! KUDOS to Charlee!!!! This is so absolutely true that I cannot emphasize it enough. Just because it is posted on Rootsweb and/or Ancestry or Family Search, DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE. There are three main rules to doing genealogical research:
    1. Document
    2. Document
    3. DOCUMENT!!!

If it is not documented, it isn't true. You must have step by step, person by person documentation that physically connects each person in the lineage. For those of you who said you hated looking at film and microfiche, well, there's not a whole lot of alternatives. While more and more documents are being digitized and put online, it is still a very miniscule amount. Let me say this clearly: It is impossible to do correct genealogical research solely from the internet. And even if you find a record for your ancestor "John Bevington" married to "Mary", you have to prove that this person is the correct "John Bevington", because there is almost always more than one person with the same name.

And another caution: it is NOT, let me repeat NOT possible to trace ancestry back to Adam and Eve, despite what some people claim. In the world of serious genealogical research, that is a joke. Even the head of the LDS Family History Centers has published papers which acknowledge this. Also, it is almost impossible to trace anyone except royalty prior to the 1500's, which was when paper first began to be mass produced.

Aside from all this, it is THE most fun hobby!!!
    Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 AM

[quote=gaigai]
    Originally Posted by Charlee
    You DO need to be careful, and consider it to NOT be true until YOU prove it is through records. However, those family trees that others post are a valuable ..... There are three main rules to doing genealogical research:
    1. Document 2. Document 3. DOCUMENT!!! If it is not documented, it isn't true. You must have .....
    And another caution: it is NOT, let me repeat NOT possible to trace ancestry back to Adam and Eve, despite .....
    Aside from all this, it is THE most fun hobby!!!
    YES! It is the best fun right up there with quilting! and your warning, Charlee, about gathering info and documentation is right on!!! I've been to Salt Lake City and the Morman center on genealogy and found out any person can enter any info... no proof needed!!!!!!! I was appalled!!!! So I too follow those 3 rules!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 AM

I have done genealogy research for years now, on and off. I started when my Grandma died and at the visitation there were many forst cousins of her I had never met. So Mom bought me a family tree maker program and I have never looked back.

Now I have many questions concerning documentation.

1. How do you document? Do you get copies of the document or look at it compare to your notes and then enter the location of the document?

2. If you keep a copy of the document, how do you organize them? File system under person name/maiden name?

3. Then if your are filing under names do you put a copy of a marriage certificate in the folder of both husband and wife?

I am an organization freak, would love to have your input and/or suggestions.

Sheila