Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone into genealogy research??? >
  • Anyone into genealogy research???

• Anyone into genealogy research???

Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by Charlee
    JOSEPH Pleasant Barber has the Canadian ancestry. I only know that from the research of others (I haven't got that far yet)....the family was LDS, and so there are tons of documentations of his grandmother's family....
    Charlee, did you get Jack's death certificate? That would be the next step. As well as getting copies of the medical records, not just the stuff that's on Ancestry.
    Not yet I haven't....he's a fairly recent find....but it's on my list. :)
    Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
    Kas

You sure do have to know some things before you start. Like the fact that my husband's paternal grandfather changed his name to Roberts from Romanowski (some of his brothers shortened it to Roman) and his paternal grandmother was born Nowakoski and her father changed their name to Novak. Her father left Poland because Russia was taking Polish men to fight in the Russian army.
    Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by campion
    Yes I am but haven't done any for ages------I have 1 famous Ancestor--well he was an InLaw---Captain James Cook the circumnavigator
    That would be Captain James Cook, the discoverer of Australia, amongst other places

:-D
    Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM

I fully enjoy genealogy research. I started in my early 20's (long time ago) asking family for their info, including jobs. Then it say till about 17 years ago. The only thing I had was my dads parents names. One thing led to another and doors opened. I especially enjoyed the civil way days. For some reason they were interesting. Now I am into more quilting. No one else in my family enjoys genealogy or quilting. Well my grandma enjoyed quilting... she is long gone. I have helped many people find their family and enjoy all genealogy not just in my family. Like a big puzzle that never ends. :)
    Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
    Banned

Just remember, just because it is on the Internet, doesn't make it true. You need to have the documentation for each step. Genealogy without documentation and appropriate source citations is just mythology. Use the information you found to collect the proper documentation. Then and only then can you be sure your lineage is correct. Most online family trees are not worth the paper they are printed on because there is no source documentation for each person and step.
    Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 AM

If anyone is interested in the british census, then this Sunday 27 march is census day here, when we have to fill in our forms. To celebrate this, Ancestry UK are opening their british census free of charge to non members. It is for 24 hours, but do not forget the time difference. All you have to do is log on, and then I presume sign in in some way.The first census is 1841, and the last census available here is 1911, but I am not sure whether this is on Ancestry yet, as we have to pay for this on the goverment site. I will be up early to log on, as I do not have a subcription as it is too expensive
    Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 AM

But also remember, you can only go back so far with documentation.....

Clem 55: you mentioned you couldn't find info on your ancestor and her kids coming over from Belgium. This is what we found out about my DH's family. Apparently there was a limit on which nationalities could come to America. They were Jendra's from Latvia.....they went over the border to Russia (German?) and changed their names to Rosenthall and became Russian Jews to get passports !!!! Amazing, isn't it!!! We have written documents on that part....but I STILL can't find anything on them before coming to America!