Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do? >
  • Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do?

• Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM

I hate it. I don't like to sweat. I'm already overheated 90% of the time due to menopause.

My trainer used to tell me that I would grow to love it. Now she just says "Shush and give me another 20".

I do love to swim, however, I don't "exercise" when I am in the pool. Don't do laps - many some water yoga or aerobics.
    Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM

I love to exercise but with a broken spine it's difficult at best. I have improved enough to walk most days so I challenge myself to walk just a little further and a little further each day. It helps too that I can walk right out of town and see the fields, pastures. horses and cattle as I walk. I'd give anything to be able to get down on the floor and do situps, pushups again or even an aerobic class would be fun! Do it while you still can!!!!!
    Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM

I don't do well in gyms at all. I can't think of anything less enjoyable. I do, however, like exercise outdoors. I run four days a week, and I walk on at least one day, sometimes 2. I don't bother with an iPod (although I do have one). It's my meditation time, and I find peace and solace in the rhythm of my breathing and footfalls. I don't attend a brick-and-mortar church--my sanctuary is a quiet blacktop path through the woods in my town. God and I have some really good conversations out there, and I feel it is my duty to take care of and USE the amazing body he designed for us.

If you find an activity that brings you joy in just the simple act of being alive and human, you will not have difficulty sticking with it. Walking, running, cycling, hiking, swimming--our bodies can do SO MUCH. If the gym doesn't work for you, go outside and try something else. This is coming from a once-upon-a-time couch potato. I'm still a work in progress, but I'm getting to a point where running is just one of those things I do every day, like eating dinner or having my morning coffee.

I could go on and on with this subject (and I still might ;)) but that's how I do it. I've found the thing that brings my soul to life.
    Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 PM

I"m allergic.... thats my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

I HATE to exercise.. I try to ride my bike when the weather is nice and I feel up to it.. ( which isn't often)

It's BORING!!!! and I EAT MORE!!!!! dang it
    Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM

I totally agree with you. I find it such a bother to get changed and go to the gym only to go home and get changed again (and showered). It is very boring to me. My DH goes to the gym but he will walk with me in the evenings also. I love to walk. Sometimes that is the only time we get to actually talk about what happened in our day. I think that is why I like walking so much.....we communicate.
    Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM

I hate it too, I know I should be doing more but it is worse then going to the dentist for me and I really do not like the dentist. Am having lots of talks with myself about this issue.
    Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM
    Power Poster

I broke my back roller blading and was in therapy for a year! I work out at the gym 4-5 time per week, sometimes more. I find that I hurt if I don't work out! It has become a part of my life...and yes! I love to work out! I know I'm doing something just for me!
    Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM

My daughter and I are looking for some sort of adult dance class. We both know that's the only way either of us will willingly do any sort of organized (or otherwise) exercise.

She wants to learn Irish Dance like you see in the exhibitions, just not try to be competitive with it, which seems to be what is offered (and only for children) in her area.

My SIL does line dancing and I think that might be fun to try, but we're too far apart (she's in Alabama and I'm in Texas) and I haven't found anything even remotely local.
    Old 08-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Well, I sometimes find the gym a bit boring too, but I go anyway.

Some "more fun" exercise ideas:
    At home, I'll take a deck of cards (probably one or two missing) and deliberately throw it on the floor during commercials while watching tv, and make sure that I stand up, bend down stand and pick each one up individually. :) That works - lost about 2 inches that way (took a few months!!)

put laundry (it's gotta be done anyway - right??) in different areas. All clean clothes come out of the dryer and go on the kitchen table in a big pile. Then I fold one, walk it into the dining room and make another pile, mine, DH's, DD's, kitchen towels, etc. Then, put away.
    This sounds like my strategy. The laundry basket stays on the floor, so I have to bend down to pick up an item to fold. Then I walk that items to it's proper resting place.

I also keep my ironing board in a different room than my sewing machine. Lots of walking while I sew.
    Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
    Power Poster

I hear you!!!!!!! If it isn't fun I hate it.
    Love riding my bike, love swimming, HATE to sweat!
    I am doing Pilates privately with my son, who's an instructor and love it. Love Yoga.
    Aerobics is something else I can't stand. Love doing weights but can't just do that all the time :)

I really hate to sweat!